• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Does NASDS Still Exist?

Discussion in 'Q and A for Scuba Certification Agencies' started by Bruzilla, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Bruzilla

Bruzilla Guest

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I got certified with NASDS back in the late 1970s at Skipper's Dive Shop in Pensacola while attending Naval Aircrewman School. My card has survived pretty well through the years, but it has finally gotten to the point where it is more scotch tape than plastic. I went online to see if I could get a replacement, and I found NASDS but it doesn't look like the same NASDS anymore. Does anyone know if I can get a replacement card through the current NASDS or did some other agency pick them up? Thanks!

2. Walter

Walter Instructor, Scuba

It merged with SSI in the late 90s.

3. knotical

knotical perpetual student Staff Member

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
  4. dpbishop

dpbishop Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
  5. RonMurray

RonMurray Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I also was certified by NASDS in 1976 and my very cool card turned to dust. (too bad as it had a microfiche embedded in it with my medical history).

I contacted SSI and received an SSI card (and SSI number) for $25. Not only did NASDS merge with SSI - but there was a fire that destroyed much of the NASDS archive.

Note: You will probably want to go through a local dive shop to get this done. If I remember correctly SSI will process the card- but charges around $50. The local dive shop I went through in Northern Kentucky handled the transaction for me for $25.