• Makes me less tired than air.

Votes: 120 51.5%
  • Makes me more energetic than air.

Votes: 20 8.6%
  • Makes me feel worse than air.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well it made Bud wiser.......................Oh no that's beer. Sorry:rofl3:

But really, some do claim that nitrox makes them feel better. Some claim there is no difference. Personally, I think it is an issue of what you believe. There is no real scientific basis for these claims on either side of the coin.

Some people find cures in sugar pills while others need the real stuff. I think it is mostly a psychological concept myself although I'm sure there are physiological aspects for each individual as well. I also think it may have something to do with how good of shape one is in, although this doesn't always seem to be the case.

It may just be that some people are more suggestive than others. If I tell you it will work and your mind believes it will work then it will work for you, kind of thing.

My gut feeling is a little cocaine is mixed in nitrox, to get us hooked on the stuff. Kinda like the coca cola of the past, which had real cocaine for flavoring.

fisherdvm: You want to make scubaboard results statistically significant?:rofl3:

Especially if they are diving with a tight hood or collar.
Not our situation, we're www divers - don't even own a hood - or wetsuit for that matter..:D

Oh, boy, we are 10 for nitrox and 13 for not making us happy....

I am going to have to try the stuff...

String:
"Feel good" is near impossible to investigate properly. Its an entirely subjective view point which changes from person to person and the placebo effect can be high.

If subject is happy, then it works. Placebo or not...........

Placebo can also work in reverse. Think theres no benefit so dont see any.

I have some significant scarring resulting in decreased vascularity throughout my body. A number of medical pros suggested I dive high O2 mixes (dependent upon MOD of course) for obvious reasons. Anecdotally I feel less tired...

The main benefit of nitrox is the extended bottom time w/o having a decompression obligation within the 100fsw range. You will notice little to no difference in feeling better after a dive or narcosis during a dive due to the little difference in O2 and N2 percentages.

A typical Nitrox mixture takes the O2 content from 21% to 32%. The 11% difference in O2 content will make very little difference in how you feel after a dive.

You will gain more benefits in fatigue after a dive by doing a proper ascent.

That being said, I use 32% nitrox almost exclusively.

Back
Top Bottom