Does the great lakes need a Quarry subgroup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wolfie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Don't get me wrong. Nothing against Gilboa. Both my brothers did OW there while I had OW in traverse city. My best dives ever are Traverse city to Cheboygan MI. Those old preserved centuries old wrecks are the greatest dives in the world IMHO. After moving to the East Coast I'm just not able to do these dives any longer..... Anyway, I check in regularly to the Great Lakes wrecking Crew region and it is jam packed full of nothing but Gilboa. Not for nothing but you need to look long hard and deep to find anything on this forum that even comes close to the great lakes. This includes the wrecking crew meet and greet (at the quarry). Perhaps those that are a part of these groups and sub groups could get the Great lakes wreck discusions seperate from Gilboa. Perhaps even giving each lake a sub forum. don't know if it would work. sorry for venting.

So you live on the east coast and your going to come in this forum and stir things up. I will say this The core group of the GLWC, dives the great lakes exclusively. The MNG are done at Giboa due to its a 3 day event people come and camp all weekend. For you to say the best dives ever are in Traverse City. Is kind of hard to take you serious. Port Sanilac, Thunder Bayans the straights. Offer some supierior wreck diving.yes there is a lot of talk on here about the quarries. It is what it is. Those that are diving are doing that not on here talk.ing about it.

I said TC to cheboygan. My favorite sites are Sanduskey, Ward, Minniapolis, all around the bridge. Used to live in Boyne City with My boat in Charlevoix. Traveled from Traverse City to Cheyboygan during the summers diving what I could. Dove with several pioneers of the thunder bay wreck hunters One of them has numbers in the sanilac area that has vowed never to give up. Just never took my boat around that far.... work and all. If you say their not talking and it is what it is. Oh well. At least i have some fond memories...Didn't mean to stir things up...

Yup, lots here about Gilboa. But you also see plenty about White Star and Haigh as well. These are all outstanding training sites for GL wreck diving. Come summer, you see folks posting on here about getting out onto the Lakes.

Regarding the Meet & Greets ... this has been hashed and re-hashed. These are primarily social events as well as 'open the season' (April) and 'close the season' (Oct) dive-your-face-off events. Only a quarry will work for that given the social aspects and the time of year (too early and too late for GL wreck diving).

Personally, I don't see a need for any Quarry subforum. This is a regional forum for divers who hail from the Great Lakes region (upper-Midwest). Look at the forum structure. This is one of the Regional forums, not a forum about a particular type of diving (ie wreck diving). It isn't exclusively to be about Great Lakes wreck diving, although that is a very popular form of diving for many of us. If you want a forum specificially about Great Lakes wreck diving, this wouldn't be it. I would suggest a better solution would be a Great Lakes subforum in the Wreck Diving specialty forum instead.

Perhaps the name 'Great Lakes Wrecking Crew' is confusing to some. The description says, "Including the states of Northern Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, Western Pennsylvania and Wisconsin." Notice that it says nothing about wreck diving, only diving within the region containing these states. It is a regional forum, not a specialty diving forum dedicated to one type of diving. Mid-west Muck Divers is also a regional name, but that doesn't mean all they do is literally dive in muck. The Kentucky Pirannha Patrol doesn't literally patrol for pirannhas. It's just a name.

YMMV and others may disagree, but that's my 2 cents.

I also agree... No need for sub forums. It seems the posting on Scubaboard has slowed down mainly due to other social sites. The MNG events are great ways to make the personal connections with other local divers. It then tends to go to one on one discussions for setting up trips and charters through the season.

I do challenge the GLWC to do more trip reports from diving in 2012 here on Scubaboard. I know I love hearing about the trips (both lake trips and quarry trips). I have a bunch planned for 2012 and will be posting trip reports as well for you all to enjoy (well, hopefully you enjoy them).

I do challenge the GLWC to do more trip reports from diving in 2012 here on Scubaboard. I know I love hearing about the trips (both lake trips and quarry trips). I have a bunch planned for 2012 and will be posting trip reports as well for you all to enjoy (well, hopefully you enjoy them).

I whole heartedly agree!! I used to be better about posting trip reports and will endeavor to do my part this year to do so more often.

I joined the group because I thought you were about wrecking brain cells and livers along with a few kidneys to boot!

Wolfie does have a point. The vast majority of postings in this forum are quarry related and have nothing to do with the Great Lakes. That's the way is has always been. Maybe it should be called Great Lakes Region divers as there are no wrecks in the quarries. That would certainly be more appropriate. Go ahead and flame me, but you know I am right.....

Wolfie does have a point. The vast majority of postings in this forum are quarry related and have nothing to do with the Great Lakes. That's the way is has always been. Maybe it should be called Great Lakes Region divers as there are no wrecks in the quarries. That would certainly be more appropriate. Go ahead and flame me, but you know I am right.....

Ummm ... it IS the Great Lakes region forum. Look at the Forum structure. There is no other forum that covers the states that border the Great Lakes. It just so happens to be called the 'Great Lakes Wrecking Crew.' As I said ... it's just a name for crying out loud! It's a regional forum. It needs a name! The vast majority of us are wreck divers. Does that mean we ONLY dive wrecks? Of course not. Some of us, however, are open minded enough to realize that it's all diving and it's all good.

Ha ha ha.... Just you guys wait... When I get back from cave diving in Florida, I'm going to do a trip report and post it in the GREAT LAKES WRECKING CREW. You won't know what to do! But, I'm from the Great Lakes and dive anywhere I can, so guess what.... I post in the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew Forum.... Anyone wanna try and stop me! :D

Back
Top Bottom