Does the instructor have to cover everything in the PADI confined water dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every single skill listed should have been covered. For a few, I can see how an instructor could have had the student demonstrate a skill w/o being explicit about it, but for a lot of those, you just can't perform them w/o knowingly performing them.

To be fair, there are always 3 versions of the story and we only have yours. Before you contact PADI, the reasonable thing to do would be to discuss your concerns with another student. Perhaps you just don't remember doing those skills but you actually performed them (?). Then speak with the instructor and have him comp your class for an extra practice session where the missing skills are covered and more practice and emphasis is given to everyone's confidence in their abilities.

Failing that, your book has each skill listed at the end of each chapter. I suggest you have yourself placed with another instructor to complete the class. I would personally not stand for such sloppiness; nor would I trust an instructor that glossed over important skills.

If indeed the instructor is not meeting his responsibilities, contact PADI by email at qa@padi.com to describe the situation.

i think it a shame that you are having to go through this to ensure you hit every skill. your instructor should cover all skills. i would start off by confronting the instructor ... if your instructor does not try to remedy the situation, talk to the shop, if they won't help talk to PADI.

it is sad that this kind of thing does happen ... we could hope that the quality was excellent across the board ... but thats just not the case. speaking out helps minimize this kind of incident ... so thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention. best of luck in your diving!!!

PADI Standards limit training dives to 3 per day. 5 conf water dives should take at least 2 days to complete.

The three dives a day limitation applies to open water dives, not confined water.

5 confined water dives in a day is do-able, but not ideal for learning in most cases, IMHO.

All confined water skills must be covered for certification.

The skills for confined water dives 1-3 must be covered before open water dive 2, and the skills for all 5 confined water dives must be covered before open water dive 3.

The only optional skill, as has been stated, is buddy breathing.

Some of the skills you indicate that you may not have done are safety issues. For example, not learning to ditch weights at the surface in deep water, or how to conduct a descent, or how to hover properly.

Of course, it was a big day, and maybe you've either forgotten, or the instructor wasn't explicit about what he was doing and the skills were covered more subtley.

In either case, talk to the instructor about your concerns. If you still have them, you could talk to the store owner and/or PADI.

Good luck with your diving - it looks like you may have the bug!

PADI Standards limit training dives to 3 per day. 5 conf water dives should take at least 2 days to complete.

That standard applies to open water dives not confined water. However unless you have a small class it would probably be too much to do in one day. I have done it but that was with a single student in an 8 hour day.

Hmm... Our OW class spread the confined water dives and class work out over 7 weeks. 6 of which involved diving at the local YMCA.

Back
Top Bottom