"Does This Island Go To The Bottom?" A novel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric, I read your bio on the website. I'm sure you know Joe and Matt Liburdi. Good guys. Matt sold me my first bc years ago (Zeagle of course) and got me hooked on diving. I was in school forever so didn't get to dive often. But now that I've settled into my career, I'm trying to make up for lost time!

Going to pickup your book!

It's not "a novel" if it's nonfiction.

Yes, I know the Liburdi's well. We had a lot of great times. Matt has also written a book called "Deceptive Times." It's a fiction underwater thriller.

They loved selling those Zeagle's. LOL. Glad to hear you're going to make up for lost time and thanks for picking up my book. Hope you get a kick out of it.

---------- Post added March 21st, 2013 at 12:47 PM ----------

I apologize for the confusion vladimir. The original title was going to have "A Novel?" in it due to people telling me when I was writing the book that, "these stories sound like fiction."

When I copied the old title to the post I missed the question mark.

I really enjoy books written by the folks in the industry. I'm buying this one! My other fave is "Lost Wife, Saw Barracuda." Thanks in advance for what I know will be a great read!!

Just bought the book looking forward to reading it. I love scuba industry books and stories that tell it like it is.

A couple other reads everyone may like that I liked alot:

The Rapture Of The Deep by: Michael Zinsley ........Scuba instructor overseas telling it how it is

Bluewater Gold Rush by: Tom Kendrick...........Urchin diver, surfer, making big money diving for urchin and trying to stay away from great whites. This is a fast and fun read that covers making money from the ocean but also talks about taking too much of that resource as well.

I just finished reading the book on the flight to/from grand cayman. I am from the same neck of the woods as the author, which was kind of cool. I used to go to the same dive shop, dive the same beaches, and even work around the corner from where the author worked (when he worked in an office).

For me at least, Pasley's struggle between wanting to maintain a "normal" 9-5 office job and the incessant calling to leave it all behind and do what you really love resonated very true. Whenever I come across a story where someone has done this, I can't help but feel both intrigued and inspired. Pasley gives us a long glimpse of what that feels like. I wish he would've given us a little more insight into his thinking, what pressures he felt from family, friends, and the like, and the pragmatics of actually dropping it all and starting a new life.

Where I thought the book really shined was in giving the reader a raw look at the dive industry from the inside. There are a lot of things that we, as divers, cringe at when viewed in a vacuum. But, when faced with the scenario in live-time, the "right" answer isn't quite as clear. Don't get me wrong. Diving when you already have too much residual nitrogen in your system is simply dangerous and should be avoided. But, when making another dive means earning the money you desperately need to eat or pay your rent, the choice is a little tougher for some.

I also didn't realize how frustrating it must be dealing with the cruise crowd. When I landed in Grand Cayman and began diving, I began picking up on the grumbling among the shops' DMs about who was leading the discovery divers, intro class, etc. I never noticed that before!

My one complaint (and I don't mean it to be a knock on the author) is that the ibook version had a lot of typos and errors in it. I am a grammar nazi and things like that distract me a lot.

Overall, the book is certainly worth the purchase price and is an entertaining read. I would recommend it to anyone.

Just finished it and great book.

Thanks Lopez116 for the honest review! That's awesome. I certainly have found the e-version has typos that the printed version doesn't. Not sure why, but I can't get too bent out of shape about?

Pasley

Does this island go all the way to the bottom?

It Depends. If you're in Georgia's Okeefonokee swamp you will see prairies and trees on some of these large islands. It was called "land of the trembling earth" by the indians. The large islands are actually huge masses of vegetation floating around.

Back
Top Bottom