Does your spit work?

How well does your spit work as defog?

• My mask still fogs, but now it has spit in it.

Votes: 14 11.9%
  • Spit is a lot worse than defog

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Spit is worse than defog

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Spit is as good as defog

Votes: 52 44.1%
  • Spit is better than defog

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • Spit is way better than defog

Votes: 23 19.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It must be something personal. Mine never does anything except get spit in my mask.

Terry

I voted for spit is better because it works well, and is free and very hard to leave at home.

Diluted Baby shampoo also works great, and has the added benefit of cleaning your mask lens very well.

My spit works but I can't compare it to defog because I never used defog. In addition to spitting I use toothpaste. I clean with toothpaste at home and spit will then carry me thru for weekend or two (4-8 dives) of diving with no fogging problems...

(Licking the lenses is even better than spitting but I am not sure if I can say that out loud without grossing fragile people out... It sure is the best method underwater if you are still fogged :) )

My spit works perfectly....I've used defog (a couple times only) and spit, and never really noticed any difference between the two. But I also have a constantly leaking mask that's always getting flushed with water....so maybe that's what prevents fogging?? Either way, I figure that spit is free and I can never forget it at home.

Spit has never failed me. When offered, I use defog. But, I'm too cheap to buy my own so, I just spit.

Funny thing, my roommate was fogging up in Gilboa and took his mask off to lick his lenses. Didn't realize until after he took off his mask he was 30ft down. :)

But it doesn't last through several dives, the way 200 Foot Viz defog does.

...now you're just getting lazy... !

Diving without spitting in your mask is a bit dancing when you're sober. It just 'aint natural.

No matter what defogger you use, if the inside of your mask isn't clean, defoggers just aren't very effective. I clean my mask after every dive trip with Soft Scrub and a toothbrush (not my daily brush but an extra.)

My saliva isn't very effective so I do use a commercial defogger. Although I have never tried spitting early, allowing it to dry and then rinsing just before diving. It's worth a try.

I did have a student not too long ago that I did have to tell him to spit out his chewing tobacco (snuff) before he spit into his mask.

For those who say your spit doesn't work ... try it again after eating an oreo cookie. Something about the sugar content of the cookie makes the spit work better. Just make sure to rinse all the chocolate bits out before donning your mask ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom