Dogs & Diving

Do you take your dog with you when you go Diving?

• Leave at Home.

Votes: 53 44.2%
  • Leave on Beach.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Leave on Boat.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Goes snorkeling with me!

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Thought about getting gear for?

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Don't have a Dog...

Votes: 48 40.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My little guy used to come with us. He would stay in the shade. But he has a heart condition now so we leave him at home. I wish I could have taken him in the water with us, but he hates water. :( He even hates going out in the rain.

Stacey

I have 3 german sheperds, the male is trained in water rescue. If he sees someone in the water that looks distresed, he swims out to them, circles them, offers them his tail or a line, and pulls them in. He will also find you if you get lost, you die or have drugs.
But no scuba diving for my dog.

mike

luv my dog, but do not need the extra luggage when diving.

I have 3 dogs here on the island... the funny thing is that the 2 Caymanian dogs that I have from the Humane Society here don't like to get wet above their ankles. Jagger, my Connecticut dog that came down with me, loves to swim in the ocean and has startled a few snorkellers. But, he hates the boat... but, my newest Cayman pup loves going on the boat. "Stewie" jumps right on the boat and heads for the front console to hang his head out the window with his tongue hanging. We only take him out with us when we have a very small group on the boat and we make sure that they all are "dog lovers". We make sure that he's never alone on the boat while we're diving and he makes for great entertainment on our surface intervals. Make sure there's plenty of fresh water and shade.
I think that Stewie needs to take some lessons from your dog, Mike! And I agree...no dog diving. There is a dog here on the island that dives with the bubble... how does that poor critter equalize?

Don't get the wrong idea. I really do like my dog. But she is such a pain in the backside. She is a small mixed breed - I dont know what, but has a little of that Taco Bell dog in her.
I think I would take her diving with me, if I were in alligator infested water. Perhaps I would finally get a close up of an alligator?

Leave it home, in a box, under the bed.

Wetone

**before my story**
Caymancase: "We'd love to have Stewie join us anytime we come down and dive with you guys." The last time we were having fajitas and margaritas at the Lone Star Cafe, we had a couple of island strays wander up and join us for a while. We caught up with them after dinner and brought them easily 2 lbs of steak fajitas. It was great and made us miss our dogs a little less.
** end sidebar conversation **

**My post**

There are two words that send my dogs flying around the house jumping, barking, and running for the door.

"Boat Ride"

We live on a lake in North Carolina and average 3 trips out on the boat each week throughout the spring and summer. If we were to take a trip out without them and we came back smelling like lake water, there would be HELL to pay.

My golden retriever and springer spaniel each wear a lovely yellow life jacket and take turns playing "hood ornament" as we cruise along. While they both love to swim and play around, they're getting more adventurous daily. Recently, the springer has taken up the sport of tubing. He'll sit in the tube with my wife and hang on for dear life, grinning from ear to ear.

As far as diving is concerned, they'd stay in the boat and nap, but we haven't tried that one yet. Dogs are like kids... each one is different and has to be dealt with on a case by case basis.

I think I may have seen the same cable show in which the guy rigged up a diving unit for his dog. Dog did look quite happy to be bouncing around on the bottom...lol. Though as far as I remember they kept the dive very, very shallow.

I would suppose some dogs would be happy doing this, some agian would not...lol. Just like we've taken some people out on a Discovery Scuba. Some like it, some did not...lol. Each dog has it's own personality.

Tara I suppose would...lol.

I have no idea about the diving bell or helmet they use though. Do you still have to equalize in those things? I'd think at 5-6 feet not much would happen....any thoughts?

I can't imagine setting up Tara's gear and mine each and every time I go diving....lol. Not much to photograph at that depth except her...lol. It would sort of limit my diving also having to watch her constantly...rofl.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom