Doing 'Light Deco' as a recreational diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321:
Dumpster, Lamont was referring to the fact that Suunto has a particularly conservative algorithm and if the user was wearing say an Oceanic it might not be in deco at all. 5 mins on a Suunto probably = 5 mins left on NDL of some other brands.

Personally I don't use a computer for deco at all and I think Lamont and I would agree that 130ft really isn't a very recreational depth.

I don't care what YOU consider "a very recreational depth" I consider 180 feet to be "recreational" for me, but the last I check 130 was commonly considered recreational. Staying for 5 extra minutes past a deco limit can be a big deal depending on the situtation. To make offhand remarks about blowing it off is irresponsible and inaccurate within certain "recreational parameters".

If I'm doing 4 or 5 dives a day, I want a conservative computer, which is why I use Suunto. I agree that 130' is a rec depth for me as well.

dumpsterDiver:
I can pretty much assure you that if you stay 5 minutes extra past the NDL limit at 130 feet on, say your third dive of the day, your computer will "spank you hard" and I would be very hesitant to blow off the deco. I have made this "discovery" the hard way. The situation is totally different (and you may be correct) if you stay an extra 5 minutes at 80 feet on the first dive of the day.

Depends on the computer algorithm. I just ran 3 consecutive air dives on my GAP-RGBM dive planner to 130 ft for 10 min (not incl. descent time), 60 min SI's. I got 3 min of deco at 10 ft. during the last dive, which imo is not a big deal and more or less what I'd do anyway as a "safety stop." I don't know if Suunto's use 5 or 10 min for NDL at 130 ft but even repeating the profiles for 15 min BT I still got only 4-5 min of deco on the last dive. RGBM tends to be on the liberal side though for these types of profiles.

*Floater*:
Depends on the computer algorithm. I just ran 3 consecutive air dives on my GAP-RGBM dive planner to 130 ft for 10 min (not incl. descent time), 60 min SI's. I got 3 min of deco at 10 ft. during the last dive, which imo is not a big deal and more or less what I'd do anyway as a "safety stop." I don't know if Suunto's use 5 or 10 min for NDL at 130 ft but even repeating the profiles for 15 min BT I still got only 4-5 min of deco on the last dive. RGBM tends to be on the liberal side though for these types of profiles.

ehem, exactly.

If I'm doing 4 or 5 dives a day, I want a conservative computer, which is why I use Suunto. I agree that 130' is a rec depth for me as well.

ehem, exactly.

Have fun on your 180' air dives dumster

dumpsterDiver:
This is great information. So you can blow past the NDL at a recereational depth of say 130 feet and stay for 5 more minutes on the bottom and your computer will not give you more than 10 minutes of total deco time and you can probably blow it all off and be "fine".

Have you really done this? Do you really have experiece with diving in this manner? This "advice" is potentially very dangerous. I do 2-3 light deco dives per day and sometime a few more non-deco dives during a typical day while diving between 190 and 90 feet.

I can pretty much assure you that if you stay 5 minutes extra past the NDL limit at 130 feet on, say your third dive of the day, your computer will "spank you hard" and I would be very hesitant to blow off the deco. I have made this "discovery" the hard way. The situation is totally different (and you may be correct) if you stay an extra 5 minutes at 80 feet on the first dive of the day.

Your general statement could really get someone in trouble. I dive with a single computer and almost never look at tables. I follow my computer, do deep stops (that my old oceanic does not call for) and have a lot of faith in the deco information it gives. I have done so many similar dives however, that I pretty much know what my deco status is just by looking at my depth and gas supply. People can follow their computers, but they need to have the EXPERIENCE to know what the computer is going to tell them, "before the computer does".

You are ignoring the most important point of the sentence I wrote which is if the "absolute" worst case happens that your relative risk will not be high. I'm trying to address the fact that the poster does not have formal decompression training and may not be able to handle decompression at the level which is expected of someone who is doing profiles of, say, 20 minutes at 240 fsw where there simply is no room to **** up and blow off any of your deco. At the same time we're not talking about the relative risk of doing that kind of dive and we're talking about the relative risk of a few minutes of mandatory deco at recreational depths.

And I thought I carefully qualified my answer in that this kind of diving still requires people with some introductory training/mentoring in technical diving who were on the road to viewing diving the way technical divers do where problems encountered underwater should be solved underwater. The average recreational diver who doesn't have a clue about all of this and is diving Al80s with no knowledge at all of gas management or any redundancy is completely out of scope for everything I wrote. I don't know how I can be more clear about this. Did you just followup to the first paragraph that I wrote without reading down to the end of it?

I also was careful to mention that I was discussing Suunto computers which I know from experience are very conservative. So going a few minutes into deco on a Suunto computer is really no different from people who push other computers right up the NDL edge. The risk there is the same.

And again, I'm taking a worst-case analysis approach in trying to weight the worst possible outcome against the relative inexperience in decompression diving of the poster. And in the regime we're talking about just about anything works in terms of decompression and its reasonably difficult to mess up. The CESA directly from 130 is very unlikely to happen in someone with a technical mindset who practices basic gas management. The more realistic circumstances (worst case) or a 3 minute stop on a dive 5 minutes over the NDL. And what you're dealing with there is not the certainty of getting bent, but an increased rate of risk compared to the risk of ascending at the NDL time. For divers who do this consistently every dive its a horrible practice and a sure way to get yourself bent. For a diver with the correct outlook on doing decomprssion who is merely inexperienced, they might run something like a 1 in 100 chance of the worst cast happening and a 1 in 100 chance of getting bent in the worst case. That makes for a combined 1 in 10,000 chance of getting bent on any dive which I would consider acceptable risk and on par with the risk of DCS on any recreational dive.

And basically what I'm saying is that decompression risks and training exist on a grey scale continuum which is very poorly captured by lines like "NDL" and by "formal technical training".

Do I think you need formal technical training for 5 minutes of mandatory deco on a Suunto computer at 100 fsw? No. Do I think you need formal technical training for a 20 minute bottom time at 150? Yes. I'm trying to describe the qualitative differences in the risk between those two profiles.

I'm also aware that there's a large qualitative difference between 20 minute bottom times at 150 fsw and 20 minute bottom times at 240 fsw. The 20 minute bottom time at 150 fsw does actually give the diver a lot of leeway to screw up their deco (generally this would be doing way too much rather than too little though) on the way up and still get out fine. When you start talking 240 fsw dives, though, with significant decompression the need to hit the curve precisely starts to become much more important.

dumpsterDiver:
I don't care what YOU consider "a very recreational depth" I consider 180 feet to be "recreational" for me...

Well, that provides adequate context to your statements...

*Floater*:
Okay, maybe I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying that the "light deco" (short deco on backgas probably without formal tech training) described by the OP was dumb. Personally I think it's fine as long as the divers understand what they are doing (increased risk, enough gas, etc.) especially since most computers are pretty conservative and may show mandatory deco when some other commonly accepted algorithms (like RGBM) would not.

I think that was Mike's point to begin with. "As long as the divers understand what they are doing". Doing the deco is simple. Planning it so that it can be done safely is another issue.

onfloat:
What is "light deco?" Either it's deco or it's not.

If we were in another forum I would say they are all deco dives.:wink:
The flip side of "all dives are deco dives" is that some dives are further into deco than others.

To me "light deco" is going into the zone where I would not intentionally go directly to the surface, but at the same time, I know that the likelyhood of me getting bent doing so are very small.

To another person, "light deco" might mean the large grey area between what a conservative Suunto says and what the USN model/tables would say. For example, my relatively agressive Oceanic computer goes into deco after 30 minutes at 80', while a 40 minute dive to 80' is within USN tables.

------------------

With a typical SAC of 0.4cfm, I routinely do "light deco" on a single AL80, both on first dives and even more commonly on repetitive dives with about 1 hour SI.

In the same way that "every dive is a deco dive", tp there is no significant difference between a heavily loaded dive where my computer is still showing NDL and a dive that has a 5 or 10 minute total ascent time. In both cases, I'll be taking quite a while to ascend, and doing a series of 3 or 4 stops on the way.

Charlie Allen

Going into deco isn't a problem. Not having enough gas to do a proper ascent and stops IS.

do it easy:
I avoid light deco by leaving my computer at the surface if there is any chance that I will run past the NDL limits; I just use a bottom timer. :D I don't like to ride my computer, since I don't like the deco profiles that it gives- there are no deep stops and all the "deco time" is spent shallow.

Like others have said- the deco is the easy part, but the hard part is the gas planning and management.

Just because a computer tells you your first stop isn't until 10' doesn't mean you have to ascend directly to 10'. My computers don't do deep stops either. But when I do a deep stop the computer recalculates the deco obligation. I've gone into computer deco during a dive and by the time I came to my 10' stop I was no longer in computer deco. Actually, I went out of computer deco way before I reached 10'. I didn't blow off any of the stops. I just did my planned stops. The computer is simply a back up.

Part of the issue being debated in this thread comes down to semantics.

There is no such thing as "light" deco. Or "lite" deco.

Lets call it what it is:

"Unanticipated" deco.

"Unexpected" deco.

"Unplanned" deco.

"Oops I crapped my pants" deco.

"I enjoy placing my phallus in a bass-o-matic" deco.

"This is what happens when we lose situational awareness" deco.

If you are not carrying a deco bottle, or if you don't have a portion of your backgas preplanned for use during a planned deco schedule, then you are conducting "I screwed the pooch" deco - and you are hoping that you have enough gas remaining to conduct it.

Still another name for it would be "I am a complete dumbasss" deco.

There is no reason why any recreational diver should be discussing the best way to perform "Oops I crapped my pants" deco after they've screwed the pooch on some magnificently hosed up dive.

The entire objective is to plan and then execute your dives so that if you are not carrying deco gas, you are not making deco stops.

Anything else is rank ad hockery. Unless you're entombed in a wreck or lost in a cave, any diver should be able to watch their time and gas and behave accordingly.

Lets not get to a point where we are condoning moronic behavior. It starts with calling things what they are.

A requirement for "Light Deco" means you failed to adhere to some fairly basic protocols. Lets not plan to fail.

FWIW. YMMV...

Doc

Back
Top Bottom