Dolphin encounter parks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for posting that video Dan! Seeing them in the wild like that had to have been quite the opportunity.

Using them for education and research is even worse. They should use their own kids. That would be ethical. So careful and caring in how they treat them? Should be no problem using little joey or susie.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

But little Joey and Susie probably don't like raw fish, and the probably can't swim nearly as well...

All joking aside now. If the facility was rehabilitating dolphins with every intent of returing them to their natural habitat, would you be in agreement that this is a positive thing for the animals as a whole?
And for those individual dolphins who, due to thier condition could not survive in the wild, keep them in the facility to care for them while allowing people to come and get a first hand look at dolphins. Would you be in agreement that this is also good?

I don't know if this is the situation with Dolphin Cove or not, as I have not done the research yet.

It seems as though I am the master at run-on sentences... lol

Rehabbing yes. Allowing people to get a look at them during the process, yes. From a safe vantage point that does not stress or degrade the animal. Maybe via video link. But as some kind of side show attraction? No

And once the rehab is done they get released.

And if their condition prohibits release why should they have to suffer the indignity of an audience as they finish out their time?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I'm trying to think of another activity your little future diver would enjoy....you should check out "The Turtle Hospital" on Marathon not too far from Key Largo. They rescue, rehabilitate, and release sick and injured turtles and I believe have tours and events.
I've always wanted to snorkel with the wild Manatees (respectfully of course) but thats not near the Keys...
As for the dolphins...I'm not aware of any facility that isn't an entertainment only "circus act" unfortunately.
Turtle hospital is great. If you have a moral objection to dolphin cove, why not do the snorkel with the dolphins in the area known as the dolphin playground? Great fun for my then pre dive age daughter.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom