Dominica, Bequia, Carriacou, Grenada...decisions decisions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

have done both Dominica and Bequia from land. both good diving. Dominica seemed to have more topside nature stuff to keep you busy.

Bequia was rustic, but very interesting once we got hooked into the local scene. we stayed at vickis apartments and had noel as our taxi driver for the week. after we blew off the "american" tourist hotel restaurant, vicki sent us to local digs. sugar hill and fernandos (think backyard picnic table) were the best.

I was quite surprised by how much I enjoyed the diving at Bequia and believe will return someday. Couldn't find another sharks even on the site where sharks are to be found. Regardless, the place was an enchanted garden. Doc would go craxy there.

I run one of the dive shops in Carriacou and have logged up 1,000+ dives there in the last few years. If you love wrecks and walls, then this is not the place for you. But of you like vibrant. colourful reefs, with lots of drifting in gentle current (maybe not so gentle in February) in the Grenadines, then Carriacou will probably tick many boxes. The island has three reef based sites which I would suggest are amongst the best sites available on a consistent basis in the Eastern Caribbean (one of them I would dive every day if I could). The island is small and welcoming, with tourism not really an industry. People arriving on the island are not hassled or harrased, and you even get change from the waitress at the restaurant. There are parties on the beach most weeks, and at 7 miles long you can be pretty much anywhere in a few minutes.

February 16th is CARNIVAL too - so this will be a busy week of parties and mas (the Shakespere mas and juivert are really worth seeing). The weather is usually dry and warm, with cooling trade winds keeping a lid on things. The sea can get a little bumpy, but nothing that a good dive catamaran can't handle!

Travel options to the smaller islands is a little more tricky, and we're suggesting if you can not get direct into Grenada (SVG puddle jumper from Grenada is an 8 seater, and if you can't have your luggage with you it comes on the next flight - does not happen often though) then fly Barbados and Union Island. Here the SVG plane is a little larger (20 seats I think) and we organise coming to Union to pick you up on one of our dive boats and drop you back at the end of your stay - all part of the service!

If you want any more information, pm me through Scubaboard or check me out at Deefer Diving

When you were on Bequia what dive operation did you use, Dive Bequia or Bequia Dive adventure and where is the best place to stay?

Thanks for all the info...major blow hit us recentl;y however. My wife had a seizure and it looks like diving will be out for quite some time to come. Looks like it'll be just carefully supervised snorkeling from now on. BTW are there any services between Carriacou and Bequia if we wanted to do 1 week in each place?

Thanks for all the info...major blow hit us recentl;y however. My wife had a seizure and it looks like diving will be out for quite some time to come. Looks like it'll be just carefully supervised snorkeling from now on. BTW are there any services between Carriacou and Bequia if we wanted to do 1 week in each place?

There are no direct services between Bequia and Carriacou - but there is a daily fast ferry from St Vincent to Union Island which stops at Bequia on the way. Union Island to Carriacou is then only a short water taxi away, or use the mail boat which sails on Mondays and Thursdays

[/QUOTE]Joe. I was in Bequia for 2 weeks in Feb 2014.Iwe went with bequia dive adventures. Small groups.great people. Dives were great. Even with reduced vis. (60 ft) due to runoff from some heavy night rains.(1 dive day only.) As for where to stay. We rented a house for the duration. Very reasonable. Look at VRBO.com or trip advisor (vacation rental) getting there is a bit of a pain but we'll worth it

For the life of me, I can't recall which is which dive op at Bequia. That said, to my mind there was a significant difference between the two at the time of my visit. Definitely recommend you check carefully. The guys i went with had one of their good boats stolen a couple or more years back and at that specific point, was a pretty serious blow. I don't recall learning how things turned out for them in the fullness of time.

---------- Post added December 9th, 2014 at 03:15 AM ----------

I have been reminded that it was Bequia Dive Adventures we dive with on the trip.

Back
Top Bottom