Don't Spear that Barracuda !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

East West

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My good friend and only dive buddy has invited me and the family many times to stay at his house in the Florida Keys . He is one hell of nice guy and have had many years of wonderful times together . He grew up in Florida and has been diving for forty years . I have been fortunate to own a boat for many years since I like to dive when I want and where I want . He likes to dive and owns three boats . The house in the keys has a dock for his boat and a short ride through the canal to open water . We both live on the west coast which he has a house with a dock and two boats . You should have a dive buddy like mine. We flew into Fort Lauderdale rented a car and drove to his house . Being a family vacation there is a fine line to spend time with them , go diving a marine sanctuary , sight seeings and Ed and I to go spearfishing . We finally launched the boat on the gulf side to spearfish because of the huge amount of wrecks . It is unbelievable how many there are looking on the charts and most never get dove . The plan was to have a list of wreck locations and spend no more than ten minutes to meter it . The third one gave a meter reading in seventy feet of water . I put on and my fins and mask to check it out and saw bait fish that were circling the wreck . A amber jack swam by and I was excited to shoot some big game . He went down on scuba to spear grouper and hog snapper . He finished the dive with some fish and it was now my turn . Big fish you need to free dive to spear them . I made a back roll into the water and turned to immediately see a shark swimming toward me fifteen feet away . I pushed him on the nose with the gun and he left . The current picked up so I had to work off the anchor line . There was a big barracuda hanging around the boat But I was waiting for amber jack or other game . Ed said don't shoot that barracuda but I thought it was okay for target practice . I made a good shot and the shaft and fish screamed away from me . I grabbed the float line to fight and land the fish when I saw the same shark coming in , o **** . The shark was going toward the fish when things got worse . I was near the boat but still holding the line so not to lose the shaft and float . The barracuda screamed over to the boat and me to run from the shark . It was trying to hide next to me and the boat . Now the shark is in front of me and the barracuda is behind me . It does not help to panic so you deal with the situation the best you can . There was plenty of blood in the water next to me and I only had the gun to defend myself . An eight foot bull shark can do some damage to you and me being a novice with sharks . He came in and I just pushed the gun near him a few times and he swam away . He must of not been hungry or something so I climbed back on the boat and brought the fish and gear aboard . It was getting late in the afternoon and we called it a day . The lesson learned was listen to your dive buddy , don't spear that barracuda !

Nice write up and the sharks will get your heart rate up. Did you cook up the 'cuda?

haha but their sooo fun to shoot!!! here are a couple I got last weekend, the best part was sharksss love that cuda blood, i mean you werent very excited to see your bull, but if it had 4 nice cobia on it you would welcome it hah.. great story i was laughin when i read it

Attachments

• 26389_389908261813_575801813_4547521_8085387_n.jpg
    26389_389908261813_575801813_4547521_8085387_n.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 471
Nice story!

Great post! Thanks!

Ed said don't shoot that barracuda but I thought it was okay for target practice.
I thought you guys only shot what you intended to eat.

they're fun to hunt. I spot one, put a stalk on it & slowly get as close as I can, then shoot it in the head.

then it gets sporty for a while...

We eat them down here too. The locals love them...more than cero mackerels even.

Lots of folks in the Bahamas and the Caribbean eat them. You have to worry about ciguaterra if you eat large Barracudas. Same issue with any large predator fish, including Grouper.

Back
Top Bottom