Do you use TTL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Do many people out there use TTL? I talked to a shop yesterday and was suprised that one of the employees told me nobody really uses TTL.

I spend much of my time tuna fishing in the summer and would like to photograph the tuna while they're still fighting on the line next to the boat. My plan is the hold the housing underwater when the tuna get close to the boat, point the camera and fire blindly. The problem is the tuna do big "death" circles when they get close to the boat and therefore adjusting the flashes for a fish at different ranges will be challanging. Thinking TTL is the way to go but open to suggestions. Sharks in the water so won't be hopping in and don't want to get tangled in the fishing line. I also might hop off my boat into a small inflatable to photograph if things don't get too crazy. Any advice apprecaited.

Honestly, outside of Ikelite rigs it is uncommon. And unnecessary. You can get better results with manual storbe control, especially when using two stobes. I rarely use the same power level on both strobes, which you cant easily manage with ttl. And TTL never works well for wide angle, only macro.

Honestly, outside of Ikelite rigs it is uncommon. And unnecessary. You can get better results with manual storbe control, especially when using two stobes. I rarely use the same power level on both strobes, which you cant easily manage with ttl. And TTL never works well for wide angle, only macro.
Works with my inons as well, you can also move the dial to + or -. I shoot wide angle 90% of the time it works like charm. For me most important function of ttl is it minimizes the risk that foreground will be overwashed/overexposed.

My first camera housing I bought I dropped a heap of cash on all the electronics that I needed for TTL. After trying it out for a few dives and comparing with manual, I've only ever shot manual since.

Inon S-TTL (Slave-TTL) is all I've used since 2016. People who say it doesn't work have never tried it nor spent maybe15 minutes reading how it does work for wide angle and closer shooting !!! LOL......

The underwater world moves way too fast unless all you shoot is sessile creatures.

Biasing + or - for a "kiss" of flash automatically has worked for me for decades. I did the same using Ikelite's hard wired TTL in their housings and strobes too.

Since 2016 switching to compact cameras with fiber optic cord connection the Inon's have been great using S-TTL.

There might have been one or two times I've ever switched to manual but usually by the time I do that the creature is long gone :(

Just one old lazy underwater photographer's opinion of course!

David Haas

Raja Ampat Indonesia taken with my Canon G7X II in Fantasea housing and a single Inon S2000 or a friend's S220 strobe (which I use now.)

IMG_4499.jpegIMG_4583.jpegIMG_5088.jpegIMG_5281.jpegIMG_5289.jpeg

PS - I can't speak to SLR / Mirrorless hot shoe TTL gizmos as Ikelite's TTL in their housings is all I ever used.

I've heard and seen lots of problems on board boats and at resorts where people have dropped tons of $$$ of those TTL convertors and can't get them to work. Very sad and likely why many throw their hands up and switch to manual.

I know one UW photo web site discussion asked why can't a manufacturer make a simple ground / trigger MANUAL flash trigger for low $$$$ ?????

I believe almost 15+ years ago a spanish UW photographer made one and it worked well. Can't recall if he ever patented it or made them himself or ?????

I think he also was the earliest adopter of Fluroscent filters for strobes and cameras so maybe someone can search for that and find him.

DH

One final thought......The TTL versus Manual shooting debate will never end.

Many people I'd refer to as "purists" say controlling the light is "better" than automatic. I say that's like saying MANUAL focus must be better than AF (Autofocus) which certainly hasn't been the case for years in camera developments and improvements. People RUN to buy the latest improved imaging camera......

I also see all manner of UW photographers shooting manual throw away a huge majority of shots missed because the fish moved, you moved, the sun went away and clouds came over, etc.

There's no way the average hobby underwater shooter can reach up and change manual flash output as fast as rattling off several shots allowing the camera and flash to calculate at least a close to optimum exposure.

Also, any decent UW photo need some editing to show it best. This is true in any type of photography.

Again, "purists" say they "get it right in camera" which if true to a huge degree I applaud them! !!! But I'd say 90+ % are lucky to frame a decent a shot and then hope the exposure is good enough.

I like to say decent photos are 50% "capture" and 50% editing even as simple as I make it this days.

Do I still throw away a lot of shots? Sure, but usually because I don't like the angle, framing, etc.

Again mine is just one person's opinion so the OP can have ideas what may or may not work for his style and type of UW imaging.

Have fun diving and shooting!

DH

IMG_3631.jpegIMG_4162.jpegIMG_4342.jpegIMG_4470.jpegIMG_4549.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom