What do you use green lasers for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my strong 532nm Green laser in my dive canister. It's not for underwater, just an above water signaling device, especially at night if lost. Where I dive in Florida we are usually 5 miles (8km) to land in strong currents. That shoreline has thousands of high rise condo's with retiree's. If I'm lost and I shine my laser into several condo windows, they will get upset and call the police. That's exactly what I want !!! This picture is my setup and it is sealed in a McMurdo dbl Oring 200ft canister. I take it on EVERY dive along with my pony bottle. I've used it several times and been picked up because of it.

View attachment 782319
Really, you've been picked up in these conditions after your boat didn't pick you up? I would activate my Nautilus Lifeline if it got to that point. I guess I'm lucky, have never waited more than 15 min for pick up.

I look forward to diving with you again, who can beat a Great Hammerhead and a huge Eagle Ray in a single day?

Really, you've been picked up in these conditions after your boat didn't pick you up?

It was always during my commercial harvest trips in years past. Several times it has been because of white-out rain storms. The others were when it was 4-6 footers and the boat didn't see me in the trough of the waves. Longest I've been on the surface was over an hour and my boat had the volume on their radio turned off. Another dive boat drove 4 miles and picked me up instead after they listened to me calling.

The USCG pilots were the ones that told us about the 55 gallon trash bag trick as well as taking the green laser and pointing it straight up, waving it in a tight circle. It looks like a giant green arrow pointing down at the diver and they can mark it on their gps display which relay's the location numbers to chase boats. Lasers are a good thing to dive with.

It was always during my commercial harvest trips in years past. Several times it has been because of white-out rain storms. The others were when it was 4-6 footers and the boat didn't see me in the trough of the waves. Longest I've been on the surface was over an hour and my boat had the volume on their radio turned off. Another dive boat drove 4 miles and picked me up instead after they listened to me calling.

The USCG pilots were the ones that told us about the 55 gallon trash bag trick as well as taking the green laser and pointing it straight up, waving it in a tight circle. It looks like a giant green arrow pointing down at the diver and they can mark it on their gps display which relay's the location numbers to chase boats. Lasers are a good thing to dive with.
You learn something every day. I was hit by a fishing boat in 2013 in white out conditions, I have reported it several times on SB and it was written up in Alert Diver.

The only things I can think of are

- Pointing tiny things out
- Getting diver attention
- Playing with fish (no, I don't personally do this; I don't disturb fish)
- May be used to signal if you're a lost diver (but a mirror requires no battery)

What do you use a green laser for? Please..... "illuminate" my mind.
Had a kid in my platoon get dazzled by a green laser and lost half his vision in one eye. I wouldn't use a green laser when a red eyesafe one or a flashlight would suffice.

I use one UW to point out things. However my Orca green laser packed in last week.

I have noticed some fish chasing the green spot like what cats do 🤣

I definitely ensure I don't shine it in the eyes of any creature UW or above, including humans.

I had a cave guide in Mexico that would use one to point out tie offs to lead you to the main line or difficult to find jump line.

Amazing tool for phlebotomists
IMG_5283.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom