What do you use green lasers for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vemura

Contributor
Reaction score
The only things I can think of are

- Pointing tiny things out
- Getting diver attention
- Playing with fish (no, I don't personally do this; I don't disturb fish)
- May be used to signal if you're a lost diver (but a mirror requires no battery)

What do you use a green laser for? Please..... "illuminate" my mind.

In Hawaii as I recall they mounted two lasers in parallel on a bar so they were 2 feet apart so they could shine on Manta rays, take a picture and "measure" approximately how big the Manta ray was based on how far apart the dots were

I don't use one either above or below water. They are used in astronomy to point out celestial targets because the green wavelength can penetrate dust clouds, pollution and humidity better than red. I would assume that is their same advantage underwater with all kinds of suspended particles between you and what you want to point out. I would expect their intended use is to point out the location of critters and their underwater dens.

Careful. The green laser can blind many animals if it illuminates their eye.

- May be used to signal if you're a lost diver (but a mirror requires no battery)
I love my strong 532nm Green laser in my dive canister. It's not for underwater, just an above water signaling device, especially at night if lost. Where I dive in Florida we are usually 5 miles (8km) to land in strong currents. That shoreline has thousands of high rise condo's with retiree's. If I'm lost and I shine my laser into several condo windows, they will get upset and call the police. That's exactly what I want !!! This picture is my setup and it is sealed in a McMurdo dbl Oring 200ft canister. I take it on EVERY dive along with my pony bottle. I've used it several times and been picked up because of it.

20230102_133424.jpg

A green laser has a greater range underwater. As MrTechBench above says, most ROV and many cameras used for scientific purposes have a light bar with fixed lasers for measuring underwater. In the beams are parallel, the distance close to the camera is the same as the distance far away, so you can gain accurate measurements of an object underwater without actually going underwater to measure the object.

I assume the question is why green instead of red? Red refracts more, therefore the range of a red laser isn't as far as a green laser. The caveat to that is that the red laser can punch out far further than the camera lens is effective anyway, so the reality is that a green laser holds no significant value over a red laser.

never heard of, or seen any diver using any lasers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom