Don't use a dive computer?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving tables assumes that you plan your dive & dive the plan, or it doesn't work.
Yeah, and let's be honest - that's the great part about computers, right? You don't have to plan your dive or dive your plan!

Who does not do multi-level diving? Basically no one except working divers. So you need to know how to do multi-level with tables.
No you don't. There are other ways to plan multi-level dives, but you haven't been exposed to them yet.

When doing multiple dives/day over several days, you'll soon find bottom time becomes minimal compared to diving a computer.
If that happens, it's your own fault - I'm more often gas limited than NDL limited. Almost all my vacation dives are in the 70-90 minute range, and I find that quite ample. When you do four or five dives of that length in a day, you're left with very little time or energy to do anything else. And man, what an incredible feeling that is =p

Try doing 4 dives/day every day to a week or 2 or 3. First dive could be something like 90ft max depth for 75 min, which by the tables has you decompressing for several minutes. It's downhill from there. Good luck with no computer. You'll have more time on the beach & to do some local shopping.BUY ONE.
I have tried it, and it worked quite well for 60 dives within a 3 week period. Here's a sample from the first week:

Repetitive Dive Profile Example
Max DAvg DBTMax DAvg DBT
Day 1:904181Day 2:784180

Day 3:824081
Day 4:934475

Day 5:914475
Day 6:874565

Day 7:794380

Let's see how many of the common myths I can bust with this example:
  • Every one of these dives is a multi-level dive, none require a computer (dive or pc) or tables for planning. They do require EAN32.
  • All are quite comfortably within NDLs; no deco stops required. Check it in any available deco software out there if you'd like.
  • With an aluminum 80, bottom time for all of these dives is limited by available gas; not NDL time. More bottom time is possible, but you're either going to need an incredibly good air consumption rate, or a larger cylinder. A computer won't help you breathe less.
  • All have extremely generous amounts of bottom time, leaving very little surface time for checking out the beach or shopping.
And the real fun part? I'll be done with my dive planning before you figure out how to access your computer's simulation mode or change your nitrox percentage. Lots of training out there to teach one how to do this; but you'll have to stop relying on the computer.

All that said; when I first started diving I thought I needed a computer too. I've had four in total; but switched to gauge mode and bottom timers about two years ago and haven't looked back.

If you want to keep perpetuating falsehoods, go right ahead. It helps manufacturers sell computers and I'm sure they appreciate it =)

-B

sorry i did not read the entire thread.. I could not stand to hear you whine any more. You think your Aunt who is spending a TON of money on taking to one of the ultimate dive locations is a bad dive buddy... REALLY???... I think YOU are the unsafe dive buddy. Being a good dive buddy means looking out for someone else besides yourself. Your post makes it sound like that is the only thing that matters to you..

A computer will not give you THAT much extra dive time. You are getting a free trip, and your aunt is not only taking you , but also teaching you a valuable skill in learning to use tables....

what happens when you are heading out and your battery is dead?.. it happens

what happens when the gasket leaks and the computer quits... it happens.

tables always work...

grow up and appreciate what someone is giving you... don;t look a gift horse in the mouth...

what happens when you are heading out and your battery is dead?.. it happens

what happens when the gasket leaks and the computer quits... it happens.

tables always work...

No excuse for poor planning/maintenance...all of the divers I know use air integrated computers, how do you propose they dive when they have a failure without a depth gauge and dive watch?

BTW, I carry a second dive computer (wrist mounted), so if my primary computer did fail I could continue diving.

My Aunt also comes from a long line of incredibly cheap moneygrubbers and I am sure that she has a problem spending fifty dollars to rent me one for a week, and WE ARE GOING TO THE CAYMAN ISLANDS! (Is she a safe person to be with?) I will rent one with my own money if she wont! Here is an excerpt of the email she sent.

Sufyries

She's taking you to the Caymans and you're whining about her not renting you a dive computer. She's cheap but you're not:confused:? Use those alligator arms to reach into your pocket and rent a computer, don't forget to tip your divemaster.

Let's not beat on the kid any more . . . he's had the good grace, if you read the whole thread, to come back and admit his initial post was whiny and self-centered.

Having not used a dive computer for planning or executing a dive in over four years, I know that it is quite possible to dive without one. If you use the standard tables as they are taught, you almost certainly will reduce your bottom time. But people dove like that for many years before working dive computers were available. It's not how I would like to optimize a trip to Grand Cayman, but if you are diving with someone who is diving tables, you may as well do it, too, as you will be limited by their bottom time anyway.

Dive computers have a lot of advantages, not the least of which is the ability to download and log your dives easily. I don't know how old you are or what your financial means are, but it might be worth your while to look for a simple, used computer here or on e-bay, just for that purpose.

Did she use a computer to send you that email? :wink:

If Your Aunt and her friends are all great divers that are stuck on the tables and follow them carefully then they are being overly conservative by todays standards and missing out on some extended bottom time. Diving with them may be perfectly safe if you too follow the tables. If you buddy up with any of them you are stuck doing so regardless of if you wear a computer. You dive to the most conservative diver's requirements. I personally dive redundant computers and I do so no matter my buddy's choice yet I am capable of using the tables as well. With all their built in technology computers are still using the same algorythms the tables use but are working in real time with actual depth. However computers only credit you with extra time based on the amount of time you are at less than your maximum dive depth. Your Aunt and her friends have decided that they do not value the extra bottom time per dive that a computer offers. They are not a requirement to dive. They do not make you any safer. You may ask why then do I use redundant computers? This is because once you start a day using a computer it may not be possible to accurately convert back to tables without it showing a violation. If one computer should fail having a second reduntant computer allows a diver to continue the day's diving without penalty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom