Doppler Base Dive Computer - Is it possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lock_washer

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Wanted to throw out this hypothetical question. Would it be possible to design and manufacture a dive computer that has a algorithm that is base on readings from a doppler scope. I think a computer that can directly read the nitrogen bubbles in your blood stream and base your dive profile would be the most accurate and safest computer there is. Would it be possible to incorporate a dive computer and doppler scope in one unit? Any thoughts on this.

Lock Washer

Your body has many different types of tissues that absorb nitrogen at different rates. To be effective, it would need to monitor many specifc parts of your body, not just the bubbles in the blood stream. I think this would be the issue, nice idea though.

I think if you have bubbles in the blood stream it's to late already:) I think we are trying to prevent them. Not monitor and treat them:D

I think if you have bubbles in the blood stream it's to late already:) I think we are trying to prevent them. Not monitor and treat them:D

Oops...I think your right - it would trigger after ascent, about the same you you start feeling the pain.

Cold hit the nail right on the head. As long as you're in good shape (even at depth way beyond NDL but have not yet started ascent) there are no bubbles to detect. By the time bubbles start forming, it's kind of late to do much about it.

But wouldn't you have a safer and more accurate dive profile if your dive time was based on the nitrogen bubbles in your system? I think that would eliminate alot of the errors in dive profiles.

Lock Washer

If you dive a SAFE profile you don't HAVE bubbles. If significant bubbles occurr you're taking a chamber ride. The goal is NO bubbles. Current tables and algorithms are based on depth / time combinations that allow for little or no bubble formation.

What lock washer forgot was the nitrogen is "in solution" in your tissues at depth (no bubbles). On ascent, if the nitrogen unloads too fast, you get bubbles. Once you have them, you are already in trouble.

So there would be no benefit to having a computer like this for multiple diving on liveaboards or dive resorts when you are racking up some increased bottomtime over the days of diving?

Lock Washer

You wouldn't want something to monitor bubbles. What you would want is something to monitor the amount of nitrogen in the various body tissues and the blood stream.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom