DOT tanks in Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rollie:
Was this a yes or no question or a lecture request.

I suppose if you read the question literally, it could be consider a yes/no question.

But the question was meant to solicit feedback about actual experiences and/or knowledge of local law and whether or not the law is followed to the letter.

I did not feel that I needed to be that literal and longwinded (as I am being now) to solict useful feedback.

Fortunately, several posters picked up on my reason for the post and gave me the information I needed to make an informed decision as to whether or not to bring my old LP72s without TC markings on an 8 hour drive to Tobermory.

Furthermore, when I called Transport Canada, before posting , and the individual I talked knew nothing about the subject, checked with someone else, and told me I would not be able to get the tanks filled. This directly conflicts with the information posted on their own web site, kindly provided to me by Mark L.

If you have a lecture, please feel free...... or just a simple yes/no answer. When asking for free advice from strangers, I will take what I can get and use my own judgement on what to do with it.

Mark L:
All DOT/CTC/ICC cylinders manufactured prior to January 1st 1991 are grandfathered and may be used in Canada (provided they have been requalified/hrdrod as per the DOT spec. All cylinders manufactured after this date to be legally filled must have the "TC" stamp and the service pressure in BAR.

The good/bad thing is that most dive shops do not realize this as all their training has been from American text books.

There is a provision in the regulations for having cylinders filled if its the nearest facility to a port of entry and you are returning to the US.

There also is no "Plus" rating on the service pressure of tanks manufactured after Jan 1st 1991 in Canada as they should be filling to the BAR rating which actually is a bit higher on the Faber and PST tanks. Once again try to explain this to some air station operators.

Hope this info helps

Thanks for the date.. I knew it was the early 90s but I wasn't sure of the exact year..

The plus rating is also good info that I forgot to say..

Tnaks that are labeled with dual DOT/TC ratings have different ratings.. the standard lp cylindere is 2400 plus 10% (if it passes) for 2640.. the TC stamp has it ALWAYS as 184 (I have seen 183bar stampted on occasion) bar which is 2668 psi.

Mark L:
All cylinders manufactured after this date to be legally filled must have .... the service pressure in BAR.

There also is no "Plus" rating on the service pressure of tanks manufactured after Jan 1st 1991 in Canada as they should be filling to the BAR rating which actually is a bit higher on the Faber and PST tanks.

Where does this information come from - CSA standards?

If correct, there's a few fill stations, testing stations, and manufacturers that haven't picked up on it yet.

Delta_P:
Where does this information come from - CSA standards?

If correct, there's a few fill stations, testing stations, and manufacturers that haven't picked up on it yet.

TCC/TSSA standards. If I recall they charge something like $60 for the booklet with the standards in it and very few shops have spent the $$ to acquire it.

You won't have any problem. I live in Toby and my main tanks are twin 95s that came from the US. DD and G+S fill them every week. I have a bit of an issue when I need them hydroed, and have taken them to the US in the past... which obviously isn't an issue in your case...

Enjoy your visit... the water's great this year!

Groundhog246:
TCC/TSSA standards. If I recall they charge something like $60 for the booklet with the standards in it and very few shops have spent the $$ to acquire it.

Thanks for that info. I'll add it to the ever-growing list of regulations and standards I have to buy one of these days...

Mark L:
All DOT/CTC/ICC cylinders manufactured prior to January 1st 1991 are grandfathered and may be used in Canada (provided they have been requalified/hrdrod as per the DOT spec. All cylinders manufactured after this date to be legally filled must have the "TC" stamp and the service pressure in BAR.

The good/bad thing is that most dive shops do not realize this as all their training has been from American text books.

There is a provision in the regulations for having cylinders filled if its the nearest facility to a port of entry and you are returning to the US.

There also is no "Plus" rating on the service pressure of tanks manufactured after Jan 1st 1991 in Canada as they should be filling to the BAR rating which actually is a bit higher on the Faber and PST tanks. Once again try to explain this to some air station operators.

Hope this info helps

Mark,
Looking at the regs, it looks like my original date of 1993 was correct

(b) in use in Canada before January 1, 1993, was authorized for continued use under sections 7.32 and 8.4.2 of the “Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations” in effect on January 1, 2001, and the conditions in those sections are complied with; or

manufactured before January 1, 1993 in accordance with a specification for cylinders set out in 49 CFR and has displayed on it requalification marks as required by CSA B339 or 49 CFR, except a cylinder manufactured in accordance with

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom