double bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
I know it has bad things to say about them, but, along with Scubaroo, I'm fairly certain the book mentions that it's an acceptable option in certain circumstances.

I'll have to dig my book up later to find the line.

So what if it is in the book? Let's use a little common sense here.

Lane Zimmer:
Well obviously I have no basis to argue whether they're ever a good idea, I'm just agreeing with Scubaroo that I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in the book.

jonnythan:
Well obviously I have no basis to argue whether they're ever a good idea, I'm just agreeing with Scubaroo that I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in the book.

It still doesn't make it any more DIR if JJ decided to mention it in his book.

Lane Zimmer:
It still doesn't make it any more DIR if JJ decided to mention it in his book.
Yeee of little faith

Lane Zimmer:
Oh give me a break. Are you arguing the fact that double bladder wings aren't DIR?

Well, on balance people in DIR circles don't use them. Book or no book.

I would think if you can't balance your rig that the DIR answer would be to wear a dry suit. I don't really know what DIR says about other forms of redundant buoyancy like using the deco buoy for emergency buoyancy but I suspect that this would be preferred over a double bladder wing.

R..

Lane Zimmer:
Oh give me a break. Are you arguing the fact that double bladder wings aren't DIR?
Does it matter....like really....will it go with my green snorkel....(and if you want to argue that dual bladders wings are DIR....go for it <snicker>)

Lane Zimmer:
Precisely, why are they such a bad thing? becuase in the event the inflator failed it would lead to a runaway ascent. Same can potentially happen on a dry suit. the difference, as i can see it, is that with a double bladder wing, you may not know which inflator had failed. So if the hose is disconnected, or isolated by means of a valve, until it is needed what is the problem?

+35 Degree C deck temperature and 28DegreeC water temp does not make a dry suit a very inviting prospect, unless very long hangs were envisaged.

I still think the 100lb wings are an abomination

JeffG:
Does it matter....like really....will it go with my green snorkel....(and if you want to argue that dual bladders wings are DIR....go for it <snicker>)

They are in no way, shape or form DIR. It does matter when someone asks a question in the DIR forum and gets BS answers. Green snorkel...ha, I've seen worse.

What I could never understand is why people are against the double bladders, its really no different than a single bladder, the argument for the run away ascent when the inflator sticks, well folks there is a REALLY EASY fix for that, only hook up one inflator and if you have to switch to a backup, use it orally, I don't think my lungs will stick open and over fill my second bladder causing a rapid ascent.

As for points of failure if I manually use my second inflator, how many failure points have I added? none really, if I'm swimming along and the seat on my backup bladder oral inflator hose fails, big deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom