Double vs. Single Bladder Wings (and bungees too).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryNL

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, my loan doubles-wing - an OMS single bladder non-bungeed model has to go back soon so I need to buy my own. I'm trying to decide whether to go single or double bladder, plus bungeed or non-bungeed, and also which brand.

Let the advice begin...

I have a OMS #94 bungied, I think that it is amazing. Now if you dive doubles and deco dives. its perfect. I think that OMS makes THEE best wings out there, Double wings are good for wetsuit divers, but even for drysuit, Redundency is the key and if it doesnt create drag or anithing, then go for it, I dont have any trouble oraly inflating, or it doesnt deflate too fast, just pefect, and they are nice and slim. The lift is especially important when doing a 400+ foot dive, with at least 3 bottles. Trust me one this one, go with this wing

Could you explain in detail why you need 94 pounds of lift? Seems like rather a lot to me.

Have you done many 400+ foot dives? Would love to hear the details on that !!

Didn't you say in your last profile (the one that your "brother" wrote) that your deepest was about 200 ft? That's quite the jump.

:shakehead

Tek Adventure Diver:
I have a OMS #94 bungied...The lift is especially important when doing a 400+ foot dive, with at least 3 bottles. Trust me one this one, go with this wing

BarryNL:
Well, my loan doubles-wing - an OMS single bladder non-bungeed model has to go back soon so I need to buy my own. I'm trying to decide whether to go single or double bladder, plus bungeed or non-bungeed, and also which brand.

Let the advice begin...

I'm assuming you are using a dry suit. If so there is no real need for a redundant bladder wing. Your DS is your redundant lift. Redundant bladder wings have certain potential problems. Using a regular single bladder wing and a DS eliminates these potential problems.

While I believe the problems associated with bungeed wings are overblown, I'm still not a fan. IMO, bungees are an attempt to make one wing accomodate a range of lift requirements. Better is a wing properly sized for the job.

You are fortunate. There is currently a wide range of very good doubles wing available. I'd suggest first determining your actual lift requirements, and then seeing what available in that range.

Regards,

Tobin

As I said in another thread of yours when you said you were a Trimx Instructor (asking about pony bottles), I enjoy diving wrecks, not lifting them.

Wat things are bad about a double wing. 94 pounds of lift are not too big, its comfort, When doing a deep dive, with 3+stage and deco bottles, its bout comfort, not having to have your wing fully inflated, i find the wing great for me. bungies there are nothing rong wit them. Since you say this wing is soooo bad, then y dont you tell me y, instead of tellin me that there are problems, just cuz the DIR book says its bad, doesnt mean it is, in the practical world. I think ppl should realzie wat DIR is, Halcyon and GUE. Its wierd how DIR suggests and somewat forced Halcyon. WAIT, is it bout marketing, UR DAMN RITE. Im sure u ppl have never done a 428 foot dive wit heliox, and i would like to see it.

OK wat bout this, double bladder and dry suit, using a 6/94 mix, your argon. bottle free flows. cant inflate your dry suit, have 5 hours deco, your wing goes, theres 100 feet below you, how are you gunna get up. the other WING WOULD HELP NOW. haha, its all bout pratical, nothing is anithing diff, wit a dual wing, OMS doesnt create more drag, its nice

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom