Doubles Wing Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CHSDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I purchased an XDeep Project Doubles Wing and am finding that it is specifically geared to create lift in the lower body. No air above the shoulders. This is leaving me very heady heavy and I don't want to add weight down low. I need to get my valves high enough to reach for valve drills so moving tanks way down doesn't solve the problem either.

I am looking at both the Donut shaped alternatives (OMS, Apeks, Hollis) as well as the horse-shoe shaped like the Dive Rite classic

I am diving wet, twin Faber HP 100's.

Any suggestions or wisdom?

Can you paste a picture of the bands on your cylinders?
Can you paste a picture of your wearing just the harness and plate (and ideally your wetsuit)?
What fins are you using?
Steel or AL plate?
How overweighted are you with 500psi in both cylinders and no air in your wing?
I am diving wet, twin Faber HP 100's.

Any suggestions or wisdom?

Get a drysuit or a set of AL80s. Barring that, the above questions will help answer. The LM and Halcyon Evolve are both more similar in donut distribution top and bottom.

Take what I say with a grain of salt as I haven't tried any other double wings to date. When I was looking for one I asked around a good bit and researched. I wanted a wing that would grow with me some when I got into larger tanks or stages / deco bottles, etc. I landed on the Dive Rite Classic XT. I removed the bungee and it's worked perfect for me.

My 1st few dives felt head heavy but I adjusted my backplate down (which was counterintuitive) and used the middle grommet of the wing (of 3) and everything just clicked after that.

I do wear a few lbs in a drysuit on the waist but it's a neo suit. I also use a tail wait from Halcon that you can stuff your own weights in, but all my diving is pretty cold with heavy undergarments.

Shame you're not closer, you could have absolutley tried it out.

I love that it doesn't feel too huge on my back and will lift whatever I throw at it on the surface.

Thanks for the advice. I use Apeks RK3s, so fairly heavy wings. Aluminum plate. With no extra weight I check out nicely on low air. I did shift my tanks down a bit, but the valves got hard to reach. I believe I simply need to get more lift into the top of my kit, which the Xdeep doesn’t do.

I’ll look at the Evolve and Dive Rite.

there are plenty of horseshoe wings floating around you can get for a song used if you want to try one out, no real need to buy new there.

but any of the modern donut wings should be fine also

Definitely go donut wing. I personally prefer Halcyon. Their build quality is better than most and their customer service long term is hard to beat. They repaired a 12 year old wing at no cost.
You will hear a bunch of people talk bad about Halcyon since they're pricey. They are pricey, but imo worth it if you plan to keep the wing for a long time

Thanks for the advice. I use Apeks RK3s, so fairly heavy wings. Aluminum plate. With no extra weight I check out nicely on low air. I did shift my tanks down a bit, but the valves got hard to reach. I believe I simply need to get more lift into the top of my kit, which the Xdeep doesn’t do.

I’ll look at the Evolve and Dive Rite.
There’s exactly zero gas in your wing at the 20’ stop with 500psi in your cylinders? Chapeau. How thick is your suit?

I don’t think there’s sufficient lift in the difference between the XDeep Project and e.g Halcyon Evolve to fix what you’re referencing. How far below the crown of the cylinders is your top band?

There’s exactly zero gas in your wing at the 20’ stop with 500psi in your cylinders? Chapeau. How thick is your suit?

I don’t think there’s sufficient lift in the difference between the XDeep Project and e.g Halcyon Evolve to fix what you’re referencing. How far below the crown of the cylinders is your top band?
5 MM suit. I need no extra weight. Fairly balanced at 500 psi. The XDeep allows very little air across the top of the wing. It looks to me like a donut, such as the Hollis, carries quite a bit more. But you are correct, it doesn’t matter if deflated. Maybe I just need a couple pounds at the top of the tanks.

Attachments

• BC85285D-742B-4387-9F6A-2B7E467F7E43.jpeg
    BC85285D-742B-4387-9F6A-2B7E467F7E43.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 124
5 MM suit. I need no extra weight. Fairly balanced at 500 psi. The XDeep allows very little air across the top of the wing. It looks to me like a donut, such as the Hollis, carries quite a bit more. But you are correct, it doesn’t matter if deflated. Maybe I just need a couple pounds at the top of the tanks.
Bottom of my tanks.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom