Doubles Wing Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out the tecline special edition, has a nice big chunk at the top that works quite nice for wetsuit and heavy doubles.

I'm not sure about the XDeep wing, but one of the wings I have have is designed to be "streamlined." The tapered corners at the top mean less air near my shoulders. That wing does make me head heavy compared to my other "non-streamlined" wings. And I can tell zero difference in drag when swimming either wing. So yes, this could be a problem for you.

As others have mentioned, putting the top band at the crown is really helpful. If you're having trouble reaching your valves there, then you probably just need a little practice with technique.

@rob.mwpropane - Since you are mentioning VDH who make only singles wings....

While I have never dove a doubles by them, the singles Oxy MachV are also top of the list contenders in my world...

Do all threads drift... or maybe all threads that I'm involved in drift... so maybe it's me??:rofl3:

It's sort of relevant just because of the quality comparison I suppose. If I had to get another doubles wing just based on my experience it would be Halcyon or Dive Rite, but my experience is limited.

As others have mentioned, putting the top band at the crown is really helpful. If you're having trouble reaching your valves there, then you probably just need a little practice with technique.
Yep! Some even push their arm/hand back with the other hand (placed on/under the elbow).

Don't give up on your Project quite yet! I felt the same as you... initially. I was so head heavy it wasn't funny. However, I have since learned that it was my setup (despite REALLY thinking it wasn't). Loosen the shoulder straps, tighten the crotch strap. Make sure your tank bands are at the very top where it starts to curve (where they should be). Backplate and wing both use bottom set of holes. And of course... tighten your glutes!!!! Out of the water, it may look like valves are a bit low. In the water, I find mine easy to reach. I'm wearing 5mm full, tech shorts, gloves/hood, HP100's with heavy MTX-RC reg kits, RK3 HD fins. No weight (actually a bit overweighted with these tanks). Wing trims out great even with multiple stage bottles, or LP72's, salt and fresh. I find if my trim is perfect, the dump valve lets out just the right amount of air to get neutral at any depth. Hope this helps, feel free to PM me with any questions!

Conventional wisdom is to not dive double steels in a wetsuit at all. If your wing fails with full tanks, your 2xHP100 / AL plate / manifolded regs will be about 20 pounds negative, and if you are deep, your wetsuit will not be very buoyant.
Conventional wisdom tells me that a proficient diver can use steel or alloy doubles and adjust accordingly.

my rig ....one of my rigs ...lol.... is doubled lp72's. Also have HP100's ( pst).

Hollis C-45 doubles wing...donut. LOVE that wing.
I dive wet with both rigs in a 5mm suit...and dive a "neutral" rig with the 72's
I carry a small lift bag with me when in the 100's

SS bp, I am -17 at heaviest point in dive...can swim it up.

obviously add weight when in a drysuit

only add on is a 4 pd tailweight at bottom of plate.
wing is center grommet, plate at shoulder blades.

I highly recommend that Hollis C-45

You don't need a double bladder wing unless you are going very deep.

Try diving in shallow water without the wing.
I don't know what depth has to do with it... anyone diving wet with heavy doubles and technical gear should always have a redundant wing, no matter the depth.

I purchased an XDeep Project Doubles Wing and am finding that it is specifically geared to create lift in the lower body. No air above the shoulders. This is leaving me very heady heavy and I don't want to add weight down low. I need to get my valves high enough to reach for valve drills so moving tanks way down doesn't solve the problem either.

I am looking at both the Donut shaped alternatives (OMS, Apeks, Hollis) as well as the horse-shoe shaped like the Dive Rite classic

I am diving wet, twin Faber HP 100's.

Any suggestions or wisdom?

That wing is definitely an 'interesting design' and is exacerbated by the fact that all the weight is at the top. Try the following and if it still isn't effective, get a better wing. Since you're diving wet you want dual bladders!

Place the upper band as high as you can on the tank and place the wing as high as you can as well. I had a similar problem until I moved my wing. This is something you should be doing in the pool when sorting your gear as part of Intro to Tech. I did it in my own pool in advance, however.

Here are some pics I just took for reference. Hope they help!
Faber HP100's
1659391828029.png

Dive Rite double bladder wing (I also dive wet). But note that it's sitting in the lower holes to raise the wing up. Also note that this wing has more air at the top than bottom.. the opposite of that XDeep wing

1659391895696.png

Fully assembled, note how high the wing sits... that keeps the entire package relatively neutral
1659391967149.png

I don't know what depth has to do with it... anyone diving wet with heavy doubles and technical gear should always have a redundant wing, no matter the depth.
Logistics requires that depth, duration and distance be taken into consideration when planning a technical dive.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom