doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lal7176 once bubbled...
Unless im reading this wrong, are you saying that ONLY the REGULATORS are in the know on doubles? or did you mean the REGULAR contributors. :confused: :D
Typo, that's supposed to be "regular", sorry about that.

Roak

Thanks for the info guys, now I guess I should have given you more info about myself:
I want to start diving doubles as preparation to more advanced diving, cant really get to deep wrecks on a single Al80, I rather have doubles than one big steel cause of the redundancy.
I would probably go for AL tanks. (no drysuit/warm water)
I do have a BP/Wing setup, but I would need another wing.
I currently do have a Nitox cert, but would love to take a deco class too!
Also, I DID search but it came back w/ non related stuff, I would love to hear other advise so if anyof you can throw some good keywords to use I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again!!:)

2250 psi steel 72's are only slightly more neagtive than an AL 80 and make a good option for doubles with a wetsuit. They are not nearly as negative full or empty as most of the higher capacity steel tanks that are presently manufactured nor are they as negatively bouyant as the Faber steel 71.4 tanks.

WaterDawg once bubbled...
Also, I DID search but it came back w/ non related stuff, I would love to hear other advise so if anyof you can throw some good keywords to use I'd appreciate it.
Search on keyword "doubles" (no quotes), search forum "Tanks and Valves", select "Search titles only"

14 hits. Looks like some good ones. Expand the search to "Search entire posts" and it jumps to 243 hits -- look at the thread titles and check out the ones that seem applicable.

Roak

GearHead once bubbled...

Careful with that advice pt40. If someone doesn't dive a drysuit, it might not be the best idea to put them in a set of steel twins as they could potentially be very overweighted depending on the size of the tanks.

You are very correct in pointing out that a diver could become very overweighted. I suppose if someone didn't use a little common since, they might try to strap on the largest steel twins they could find, onto an undersized BCD or wing. Squeeze into a 3mm wet suit and promptly sink to the bottom of whatever body of water they jump in to. In short a prime candidate for the Darwinian Award.

However, with respect to diving twins in a wet suit; If you choose an appropriate wing, with the correct amount of lift to offer you good buoyancy control. The exposure protection you choose to use will not be a factor. That being said, it is most common for people who dive twins, to also be diving in a dry suit. A wet suit becomes inadequate exposure protection with the extended bottom times a set of twins will offer.

I stand by the recommendation of steel for twins, regardless of the exposure protection that is used. That is why I also recommend a BP and wing set up, with a wing of appropriate lift capacity, to offer you proper buoyancy control. With steel you need less lead and you have less bouyancy issues at the end of your dive, which is when you need the most control of your bouyancy.

Can you guys tell me, what size wing you use on what tanks. This would help me get an Idea of whats out there. Im not a big fan of "Dual #100" bladders as some divers round my way, but I'd like to know more about it.

WaterDawg once bubbled...
Can you guys tell me, what size wing you use on what tanks. This would help me get an Idea of whats out there. Im not a big fan of "Dual #100" bladders as some divers round my way, but I'd like to know more about it.
I use a 40# wing on double 80s and double 72s (small doubles) and a 55# on 95s and 104s (large doubles)..

THats kinda what I had in mind, #40.
I see alot of folks here using #65 on single AL80's and dual #100's on steel twins, sounds kinda exesive to me ya know.

What other training would you recomend?

The concern over diving wet with steel doubles is not using the appropriate sized wing for bouyancy control. With respect again, I think you've kind of missed the mark on this one.

The concern is loss of buoyancy. With a drysuit, you have a redundant source of bouyancy should you lose your wing to a puncture, tear or malfunction. With Steel doubles and a wetsuit, you're going to have an awfully tough time swimming them up on your own.

AL doubles are still heavy, no doubt, but don't have the same associated concerns re: negativity and bouyancy. Thus, if you insist on diving wet, I can't see why you would still recommend steel.

That being said - I dive neither doubles or dry. However, I intend to in the future.

Well Found one of my old threads! Heres an update:

Got myself into some AL 80's w/a Halcyon manifold an ALBP and a 40lb Explorer wing

Love them, well I did once I got the AL BP (I was useing SS before). Thanks for the help guys.

Back
Top Bottom