doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a question here, why do you prefer the AL over SS for double AL80 tanks? Surely due to their positive buoyancy (+8# combined when empty) you need a little more lead (4# lets say for the extra tank), so the SS BP would shift that up onto your back whereas the AL is ~4# lighter than the SS and so you would have to put that on your belt (or elsewhere). I find the SS BP very nice with AL80 (singles) - what is your take? Due to me diving wet for a good while longer, this is the option i am looking into eventually (also due to the ridiculous steel tank prices and availablity at the moment helped in the decision) when i need that extra redundancy at intro to cave level and beyond (rather than wasting money on an H or Y valve set-up) - eventually drysuit and steel doubles - but that is a way down the road when i have some cash and more experience! But in the meantime single 80's and later this year, or early next double up those AL's - but i would imagine i will continue to use my SS BP with that to offset a little weight.

SimB,

Let me start by saying that for singles I dive SS and AL 80's and I think its perfect.

WHen I first started w/ my doubles I used the same BP (as I do for my singles) changing was a bit of a PITA but nothing I couldnt handle. But no matter how much I moved the bands up I would always (if I relaxed) assume a vertical position HEAD DOWN! So folks told me I needed more weight on my belt...wrong! It was soo bad that I stopped diving them for a lil while cause I really dreaded doing so, after all it was WORK.

What I did to fix it was this: switched to an AL BP (1.5lbs instead of 6lbs) and attached a #5 soft weight to the bottom band of my doubles. So I still have the equivallent of a SS BP but the weight is redistribued and offsets the weight of the manifold and extr reg. BTW I got rid of the weight belt alltogether.
W/ a 5mil I use a 3 or 4 lb soft weight attached to the top bolt by way of a Zeagle weight pouch tucked in the channel between the tanks.

Once I did this my doubles diving experiance changed over night (litterally) sunday I sucked, monday I didnt. I would have never thought of that myself my friend helped me (and sold me an AL plate).

Back
Top Bottom