doughnut vs 'horseshoe' wing and wing size advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the above post, though my experience is mostly based on doubles wings (both horseshoe and donut). I think the donuts are just a little easier to handle, especially for new divers. It's nice to be able to shift gas both from the front and rear (often this happens automatically during the dive). If you dive enough then I'm sure you'll get used the the horseshoe though, but having said that I sold my horseshoe doubles wing and replaced it with a donut, and I would do it again. For singles, I'm keeping my horseshoe for now and don't regret buying it. I'd like it to be a donut, but the wing (DSS LCD 30) is otherwise perfect imo and fine for my singles needs.

About the size, the smallest lift size that covers your needs is best. The additional, unnecessary lift just means additional, unnecessary bag, which creates extra drag and if the bigger wing is wider, then it'll wrap up higher around your tank. Wings are usually only about a third full or less during the dive so the air pockets (imagine them on both sides of the wing as it's wrapped around the tank while you are horizontal) for the wider wings will be higher up so then you have to exaggerate your movements when shifting gas inside the wing from one side to the other or when shifting it to the front or back for dumping. This can be especially an issue when the wing is almost empty and you are dealing with that last bit of gas inside. If a bigger wing is not wider, then it must be longer, which could create other similar issues.

the main advantage i hear experienced folks talking about with horseshoes is that you might *want* to be able to trap air if you're toting unbalanced loads because of carrying stages or whatever. i have a doubles horseshoe, but if tobin were giving away the pink toruses instead of charging money, i'd have one in a skinny minute! :D

BabyDuck:
the main advantage i hear experienced folks talking about with horseshoes is that you might *want* to be able to trap air if you're toting unbalanced loads because of carrying stages or whatever. i have a doubles horseshoe, but if tobin were giving away the pink toruses instead of charging money, i'd have one in a skinny minute! :D
In my experience, you are still able to trap air just fine in a horizontal position with either a single or doubles donut wing.

For singles this is not so much of an issue anyway as highly unbalanced loads (like stages) are generally uncommon (thought not unheard of) with single tanks.

I've been diving a doubles donut wing for several months now and love it.

oh, i agree, i'm just spouting what i've been told is the advantage of horseshoes for doubles. i'd have a doughnut if my horseshoe hadn't been $50 because i got it used. thanks scubaboard buddies!!

I totally agree with Archman on the X-Tek Trav-tek setup. It has been my BC of course for about 5 years. I also have the Rec-Tek wing and rarely use it due to the reasons he stated (air trapping). I also have the much larger dual-tank bladder which I'm saving for future use but on my Dive Rite backplate!

Back
Top Bottom