Dove Xcalak recently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rufito,

Costa de Cocos also comes highly recommended for lodging near Xcalak. I did tour the grounds by bicycle and thought it looked well kept. The rooms here are mostly small cabanas scattered amongst some palms as Augustus mentions. The food is said to be quite good according to friends of ours that ate there. I believe the dinners are included in the price, though, and my wife and I wanted a chance to sample a few other restaurants in town.

Drinking water is generally supplied via large 5-gallon containers at Hotel Tierra Maya. Not a problem.

I highly recommend trying the roadside stands--but I may have an iron stomach, too. The one in Felipe Carillo Puerto near the central Pemex station is very good--notice how the local bus drivers, truckers, soldiers and villagers eat there, too. Always a good sign.

Augustus' remarks about insurance are valid, in my opinion. I would check with your insurance agent to see if you might get an insurance rider for the time you are in Mexico--it may be more economical than what the car rental shop will offer.

Hope you enjoy your time in Xcalak.

Thanks Augustus and Sundog..... What about the diving? I dove Akumal last Spring and found it easy diving but not a lot of fish. I know the banks are supposed to be great, but what about the local diving. I would like to do the banks but get seasick very easily on a rocking boat..... My girlfriend is going and she will be a newbie at this. She is shortly doing her certification dives so that we can leave on the 17 of June. We plan on staying in Akumal so she can get her feet wet.

I have been to the Maya Ha in Majahual and dived the Banks. They have a large boat so unless it is really rough you should not have a problem with sea sickness (get a scopamine patch and don't worry about it). As for the diving on the Banks, it is very easy diving. Not too deep and little current. Most sites have a hard bottom so it is not like walls where it drops off to infinity. Perfectly suited IMO for less experienced divers. The inshore barrier reefs are pretty good as well. From Maya Ha it is only around an hour and a half boat ride to the Banks. Xcalack requires a little bit longer boat ride to get out there. I had heard that weather can make trips out a little iffy so I guess I got lucky becasue we made it out every day (1 week). I went in April which with March are the windiest months. Nice place, good dive op and the diving was very good. Very healthy reef saw lots of black coral at fairly shallow depths. Does not have the walls and dramatic pinnacles of Cozumel but very nice nonetheless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom