Question Downsides of hydro testing more often than 5 years?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One question. Where do you fit all of those annual hydro stamps on the tanks? Eventually the crown of the tank will be full! I have some tanks that would be going on 20 stamps now, and some divers have steel tanks way older than that!
I have bank bottles with full crowns. They attach a brass tag to the valve and continue the stamping.
Technically after 100 years of testing, you are stamping the same thing that is already on the neck.

I have one tank due for hydro now, and another due in 3 years. It simplifies things if both tanks have the same hydro date since they're in doubles.

What are the downsides of doing a hydro test more often than every 5 years?
Seems strange that so many countries have different scuba tank hydro testing requirements. New Zealand requires a hydro test every two years and a visual between hydro tests. Australia apparently requires annual hydro tests and the USA once every five years?

I suppose you could argue stress on the tank (they do over-pressurize) but that seems pretty trivial given what you're planning. It's not like you're doing it once a year, every year. And even then, I'm not sure it's a big deal. Getting a hot fill such that the tank is at rated pressure when it cools and doing that twice a week is probably worse, but I'm still doing it....

Didn't Australia (or maybe somewhere else?) go to requiring annual hydros for a bit, then backed off? I assume they backed off because the industry and divers complained more about cost and hassle than stress on the tank.
In Italy hydro is after 4 years for new tanks, then every 2 years. We do not have annual VIP, indeed.
Twin tanks are usually tested together.

Shops will refuse to fill old (pre-1990something) aluminium cylinders because of the dodgy alloy used in some. At some point that was “ten years ago”. Don’t think there’s an issue with steel cylinders
Yeah that was 86-87, so a bit more than 10 years. Just ignorance to manufactures specs and tank lifespans. But I doubt I will ever own tanks there so not on my worry list. 😜

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom