DPV How much thrust or speed is needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting thread. All the guys have added very useful info.

At the end of the day - this is a sport where you should have some reserve energy to be used while diving. When the pre-diving is arduous and the location sucks the energy out of you - you hire dive sherpas + a donkey/mule. Since you live in North America unlikely you can get some teens to do some hauling. In fact, do teens work hard anymore vs. spending time on their little devices? Ooops of the the subject :D

Thinking about it - if you're going to spend $$$$ get a rebreather instead and do one, super long dive in the area where you don't worry too much about gas consumption + hauling weight repetitively up and down some stairs with doubles, mongo steelie, or other. With shallow dives all you need with the RC is a good 30, or 40 sling bottle. They weigh nothin.'

The sucky thing here might be after you do your epic dive you go up the stairs and get a localized knee embo. :bash:

Interesting thread. All the guys have added very useful info.

At the end of the day - this is a sport where you should have some reserve energy to be used while diving. When the pre-diving is arduous and the location sucks the energy out of you - you hire dive sherpas + a donkey/mule. Since you live in North America unlikely you can get some teens to do some hauling. In fact, do teens work hard anymore vs. spending time on their little devices? Ooops of the the subject :D

Thinking about it - if you're going to spend $$$$ get a rebreather instead and do one, super long dive in the area where you don't worry too much about gas consumption + hauling weight repetitively up and down some stairs with doubles, mongo steelie, or other. With shallow dives all you need with the RC is a good 30, or 40 sling bottle. They weigh nothin.'

The sucky thing here might be after you do your epic dive you go up the stairs and get a localized knee embo. :bash:

For me I looked at a rebreather then figured why not just go air I got everything including the tanks add an air compressor at the house and I can fill a tank on the spot and go no where. Cost of that ranges from 2,000 to 6,000 dive scooters seem to range from 397-1000 for the cheapy ones then 4,000-8,000 for the nice ones. Rebreather costs when I looked into it 5,000 then training then lots of skill to set it up right. I like idiot proof and air diving is that way you got air or you don't. If you get into powered paragliding it's the same cost as a compressor and scooter. So you can fly or you can dive in style...

I look at it this way I don't need a race car I would be fine with the basic car as long as it gets the job done. Which is why I asked how much thrust is needed I mean it would be hauling about 400lbs with just the gear and person behind it. That's a good amount of weight to drag behind it.

I hear you. In Alaska we bring the portable compressor for the LP 100's as CCR diving gets to be a pain when you have to compress oxygen, and haul more cylinders to remote locations. I also like the simplicity of diving air vs. mixed gases. The RB setup, sanitizing and additional training that goes with it is mostly a hassle unless you do the occasional deep, or cave stuff. If it's super shallow I use a LARV. That rebreather is great for above 30'. But who does less than 30? :)

As per a scooter - the Chinese made pool toys probably wouldn't a big guy around very well in current. If at all. I use a Mako, Gavin and X Scooter. The thrust is comparable and they can move me adequately (not fast) with doubles, or CCR with multiple bailout during some Pacific Northwest tidal changes. That said - when the scooter has to work long and hard - you need extra batteries should you think of a second dive. And when a scooter conks out on you, or floods....what a pain.

If anything - I'd refer to newer Tahoe Benchmarks. That said performance always costs $$$$.

I look at it this way I don't need a race car I would be fine with the basic car as long as it gets the job done. Which is why I asked how much thrust is needed I mean it would be hauling about 400lbs with just the gear and person behind it. That's a good amount of weight to drag behind it.

If you are looking at the top speed/max thrust of scooters to make your decision, you need to realize that it is the least efficient speed/power level to run at. They are essentially no different that a car in that regard, while a car may be able to go 100mph, the gas mileage is going to suck doing it and the wear on the motor (or heat stress on the electric motor) will take it toll over time. And if you plan to tow a travel trailer on the highway and over mountain passes, you shouldn't be shopping for a Prius. You will be underwhelmed if not disappointed.

I have other customers your size, and two dives on a Genesis 600 is about their limit, where as I am 5'8" 165lb and can get 3 dives in at normal speeds.

Our DPVs may be a bit out of your price range, but I hope that analogy helps your decision.

Cheers,
Jon

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom