DPV shopping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug:
I have been making the same search and get no results for DPV. I don't know why...

You don't get any hits because the search string is too short. Unfortunately the search screen no longer tells you that. If you don't get hits on something that should be here, try a different string, "scooter" or "propulsion".

MD

scubatoys:
The Apollo Scooter is a great unit and very dependable. We've been beating up one for 6 years now - rental, advanced classes, etc. It goes to the lake almost every weekend and the only thing we've done is change the switch once. Fast, Powerfull, and we sell them in the 1400 range... Tested the seadoo next to it... Joke....

larry have you had a chance to test any of the torpedo scooters? and i will agree i have tried the seadoo scooters and to me just way to much plastic and i felt like i was gonna break it by looking at it wrong.

tooth

Shaka Doug:
I have had a lot of success with the Torpedos. I own 5 of them.

How much would you sell me one of them for??

:)

breals:
Buy a used Mako, you can get two of them for $2000, they will go around 180fsw, they are fast and you can even get an upgrade credit on a Gavin or Silent Submersion with them.

Where can I pick these up second hand, Breals??

Edit- Just realized a wrote a long dam reply to a seven year old post. Dam...

I've got a bunch of DPV's although I'm new to this. I have a project that I'm working on so I'm trying to get a small fleet together and currently have seven.

first DPV's fall into three catagories for me, toys, disposibles and repairables. Toys are underpowered and/or unreliable. Rather than upset anyone by listing what I think falls here, I'll just not mention them in the next two catagories.

Disposibles have fair power and are reliable, but use a trolling motor type set up, so if you have a major problem, it's not worth the expense to repair them. This is the best catagory for you if you are buying new, and Torpedo is a top pick for me. I have two 3500's and like them alot. I have not had the chance to fly a 2000 or 2500 and am not sure the longer run times would be worth the drop in speed. If you want slower, you just pulse the trigger which makes the battery last longer anyway. I also have two scooters no longer made that fall into this catagory and like the Stealth Maxx, but think the Aquasub is so awkard above water that I can't recomend it. Ebay has had two 3500's recently factory reconditioned with new battery and charger for 500 plus shipping right now, which seems like a fair deal. They have gone without bids a couple of times now, so they may drop in price if you wait.

In the catagory of repairable you will likely be talking used for this price but Tekna's, Mako's, Apollo's, Decor's etc. are great if you get a good one, and suck if you don't. I've had mixed results, I have an Apollo AV-1 that I got at a great price and runs perferct. I also got a Farallon MkII that caught fire on the first dive, and repairs will cost more than I paid for the DPV so not a bargin at all. I got a used Tekna DV-100 that has had parts swaped around and upgraded in all kind of ways that I think will be a good performer at a good price, but haven't tested it yet to know for sure. If you can get a used SS, Dive X etc. for your price range, feel blessed and go for it, but keep in mind cost of replacment batteries or repairs.

In short. Used Torpedo's $300-$500 range, ones with four clasps on cone instead of two are newer and less likely to leak. My old 3500 with two clasps has gotten a few table spoons of water in it on occasion, but it never caused a problem. If you get a used one check the nose cone where it mates with the O-ring for nicks or chips that can cause problems. New Torpedo 3500's are around $900-$975, to sure other models.

If your getting a used repairable in your price range, keep in mind the Tekna, Mako and Aries Voyagers are the same with Tekna's being the oldest. Dacor became Apollo and the Apollo's have a better reputation for good motors. Used seems to go for $600-$1100 range but needing to buy a new battery (about $90 average) is common, and the older ones can be a gamble. New ones seem to go for over $2000 with battery and charger.

I stick with Sealed Lead Acid battery scooters with standard batteries you can get from some place like Batteries Plus to keep long term costs down.

If this is your first scooter, keep in mind they are not as much fun until you have two and can take a friend with you so plan on two unless you know people with thier own.

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the massive message buddy. I'm sure someone will find the info and get use from it.

I can't believe it was so long ago that I was looking for them.
I'm a looooong way from the water now.

All the best

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom