Drift dive photography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd say the answer has a lot to do with the DM knowing your skill set & believing you'll be able to both know where the rest of the group moved on to while you stayed to take photos AND in thinking you can & will catch up. That takes some time to prove to a DM so unless you find an op that caters to photographers you may miss some opportunities on the first few days of diving while you prove your skills. Fortunately I've done that over the years with the DM's I use but as Marg has said you can't predict what the current will be on any given day at any site.

THIS POST NAILED IT.

Of my 20 years of diving in Cozumel, I can say without a doubt that Pedro @ Blue XT Sea is the slowest DM I have ever dove with LOL which = the best photo friendly I have ever dove with! He does not kick his fins hardly haha.....! Just dove with him in early june and it was such a nice change vs the DMs who swim you to death to get you out of the water. As proof, we regularly did 70-80 min dives on AL 80 tanks lol.......we did 80 minutes on Tormentos one day when the current was at almost 0 (that site is normally 3+ knots).

Scuba Club Cozumel - take a tank and spend as long as you want out front playing with your macro.

Click on my web page link below for many, many examples.

Why purposely go diving to a location that you already know is a compromise for the type of photography your wife likes to do?

Best Macro Diving Caribbean and Atlantic

1. Bonaire

2. Cayman Islands

3. Bay Islands

4. Saba

5. Belize
Top 100 2015: Best Macro Diving | Scuba Diving

There are a few good macro spots, like Bolonese. Also did our first dive up north this last trip. Can't remember the name of the site, but it was really good for macro. Sloped from 20' to 80' Moving from bommie to bommie and ended the dive in 20' sea grass covered area. No current to speak of. Whoever said Cedral Pass...man, your a helluva a macro shooter. :D That's our Fav. site, that we've done probably 30 times. Never would I think of doing macro there, way to strong of a drift for my macro. It's all wide angle drive -by's for me there. :pilot:

Ditch the still camera and shoot video on drifts.

Why purposely go diving to a location that you already know is a compromise for the type of photography your wife likes to do?

Marriage = Compromise

Married since 1982.

Exactly my point also...:D

Right, I got married and now I compromise.

(Anyone tells her I said that and I will find you.)

I have been photographing, the Cozumel underwater world since 2003. Drift diving is pretty much the only underwater photography I know.

body control is they key. being able to turn your head into the current, gently kick and "hover" is a huge advantage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom