Drink of water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a number of hydration devices that have been sold for regulators over the years. The problem if they spray into the regulator is the possibility of freeze-up if you are in water less than 45 Degrees F. You can just let a little water into your mouth to moisten your gums, but you need to be confident that the surrounding water is safe for consumption. And if it's salt water, never swallow.

Any solution that works for you is fine. Me, I just ignore it. I usually have much more to be thinking about than to worry about my dry mouth.

There really should be no need to carry water on a recreational dive of an hour or less. I understand longer technical dives may suggest water is appropriate. Just be castious in the regulator/ water bottle exchange. Hmmm... is that a new skill to teach in the open water class?
DivemasterDennis

Another new PADI speciality then Dennis, the Drink and Dive Card :cheers:

There really should be no need to carry water on a recreational dive of an hour or less. I understand longer technical dives may suggest water is appropriate.
DivemasterDennis

I have to agree with DMD on this point. Make sure that you are well hydrated BEFORE the dive, but I can see where it might be fun to try. The Tech folks dream up all sorts of things to try (eat, drinks, books, play cards, etc.) on those long deco stops.

Dry mouth is a common problem, but on hourish rec dives I don't think I've ever seen someone bother to bring a beverage. Even when doing 5 a day. But if you try it, something collapsible like a drink in a pouch or a camelback would be the way to go.

Being well hydrated helps, but doesn't always eliminate dry mouth. There is a glycerine based dry mouth spray called Oasis that I use before a dive that helps alot. Actually I usually make my own to refill the bottle, I forget the proportions I use but I've posted them on some other thread.

The obvious solution is to buy a rebreather! No more cotton mouth, and warm air too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom