Drinking and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This Wikipedia article actually has some good ballpark information on the expected blood alcohol level after consumption of a certain number of drinks, based on body weight, and also on decay rates. It takes longer to metabolize all the alcohol one has consumed than most people think.

I remember doing experiments on Alcohol Dehydrogenase, the primary enzyme for the breakdown of alcohol (One of the more fun chemistry classes, and a great rush of volunteers for this one too). Using 4 people of almost same weight and taking blood samples for accurate blood alcohol measurements as well as using breathalyzer kits we clearly demonstrated very different blood alcohol levels in 4 individuals after consuming the same quantity of alcohol.

People who are more exposed to alcohol consumption generally have higher levels of Alcohol Dehydrogenase and metabolize it faster.

Searcaigh, that is absolutely true -- and people who are what we in the ER call "in practice" function much better with high EtOH levels, too. But I thought the article was a place to give the OP some of the information he seemed to be looking for.

Agree with you TS&M, just thought I would add that not all divers (people) who consume alcohol do so in exactly the same way.

Personally I usually have one beer post diving for the day, it's good for removing that taste from my mouth :D

Just like most things in life, it is good to stay "in practice"!

Just because diving and drinking start with the same letter dosnt mean they have to go together.
whouldnt a good rule to go by be: if you have a drink/s before diving then dont go diving untill all the alcohol is out of your system. if this takes a whole day then so be it.
diving is so amazing why would you want to miss any of it by feeling hungover/dehdrated etc, were the drinks really worth it?
besides we divers are such a friendly lot even if we are strangers we automaticaly become friends because of our shared passion. we dont need alcohol to release our inhabitions in this instance.
however on the topic of post dive drinking I dont know.....

Great discussion. Now, moralizing aside, let me contribute as a former prosecutor, now defense attorney who's work includes alcohol related driving and criminal offenses, and who has published in that filed years ago. First, everyone metabolizes alcohol at different rates, but there are some norms that create useful guidelines. Second, it does not matter if you eat while consuming alcohol or not: the critical factor for alcohol impairment is how much alcohol you have consumed and when. Third, 12 ounces of beer, or 4 ounces of wine, or one ounce of liquor each contain approximately the same amount of alcohol. Fourth, any "norms" are based on a 160 pound (more or less) person. If you vary more than 25 per cent from that norm, don't rely on norms at all. Fifth, one drink (12 oz of beer, 4 oz of wine or 1 ounce of liquor, will put max out at creating a concentration of about .02 grams of alcohol for 100 ml of blood in an average metabolic/size person. Sixth, the "average" person eliminates alcohol at the rate of about .015 grams per 100 ml of blood per hour, but there are large variations. Seventh, larger concentrations of alcohol in a person generally slow their metabolic rate, so while 1 drink may be eliminated totally in about an hour and 20 minutes, for two drinks you need three hours, three drinks close to five hours, and so on. Ultimately, for 3 drinks or more, 2 hours per drink is a good "rule of thumb." So, for people of "average size and metabolism" here is a rule of thumb that may be useful, but again, is not universally accurate. For every drink you have, a drink being either 12 oz of beer, 4 oz of wine, or 1 ounce of liquor, wait 2 hours before diving. If you have 3 twelve 12 ounce beers after diving, that means a minimum of 6 hours before getting back in the water. A mixed drink will usually contain from 1.5 to 4 ounces of alcohol depending on the drink type and size, so Know what you have consumed. ALso, most glasses of wine are larger than 4 ounces, so again, know how much you have really consumed. A lot of you can dive safely with a shorter "drinking interval" than suggested here, and have, but I want to be on the safe side. Let's face it, the best beer you ever tasted was one you had after diving. I love a cold beer or two after a day of diving. Later in the evening I might have a single drink. That's my limit if I am diving the next day. But after the last dive on the last day of diving, and I'm not driving or flying the plane home, keep 'em coming! Also, the dive concesionaire's rules trump mine. Know their rules and follow them.
I hope this is useful information to all my fellow divers.
DIvemasterDennis

Oh well, there goes my suggestion about "staying in practice"!

Thanks for the info Dennis

Back
Top Bottom