Drinking & Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can we send it back?:D

Hell no.

Actually when I first went overseas I was surprised to see Fosters everywhere being marketed as the Australian beer... just don't see it anywhere here. From wikipedia "While international marketing of the beer often focuses on its Australian connections, Foster's does not enjoy widespread popularity in Australia." :)

But then I live in Australia where we actually have proper beer. I probably wouldn't drink half as much if I had to drink the rubbish they have in the USA :wink:
I get a kick out of beer snobs. I imagine they're quite exacting in their choice of macaroni and cheese, french-fried potatoes, and bologna sandwiches as well. :wink:

I get a kick out of beer snobs. I imagine they're quite exacting in their choice of macaroni and cheese, french-fried potatoes, and bologna sandwiches as well. :wink:

I have never eaten a bologna sandwich is but the rest, yes I have particular brands of mac and cheese and also french-fried potatoes that I think are vastly superior to others.

Kraft
Curly fries
Oscar Myers.

I'm a rare Aussie who doesn't drink. It's not because I disapprove, but I just never really developed a taste for alcohol of any sort.

I don't really care if others choose to drink or not, but I'll admit I start to get uncomfortable around people drinking to excess.

If a buddy had a drink for lunch and a dive 3 hours later, I wouldn't be concerned. Much more than that and I'd make an assessment and would probably find another buddy that afternoon. I wouldn't dive with someone the next morning after a heavy drinking session the night before either.

I'm acutally looking forward to doing advanced to see what getting 'narced' under controlled conditions feels like. On the rare occassions I have tried to drink, I found it difficult drunk. I'm a tall, solid guy who doesn't tend to be effected much by most drugs (such as perscription).

Most (any by that i mean the vast majority) of Fosters label beer isn't even made in Australia. it's made under license in other countries that are stupid enough to drink it. I haven't seen it on tap for about 10 years (i have vauge memeries of seeing it on tap when i was 18 in a few RSL's)

but we digress...

The question is what is the length of time after a drink that you must wait until the risk of DCS is the same as it would have been had you not had the drink?
Good question ... do you know the answer? Wouldn't it depend on how much one drank, body physiology, age, physical fitness, how much rest you got afterward, and a whole host of other variables?

At what point does the dehydration level from that one drink you had with dinner last night become so negligible that it's totally overshadowed by other factors that no one even bothers considering (like your fitness level) when they decide whether or not you're fit for diving?

You might consider that, to most appearances, you seem to have a drinking problem.
That would be a matter of degree and opinion.

I've known lots of folks who would agree with you. Almost to a person, they're Christian evangelicals, who consider consuming alchohol a sin and inherently evil.

As with almost all things, appearances can be deceiving and blanket statements can be completely wrong when applied to individuals ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am honestly surprised at the seriousness with which people on this thread are taking drinking a beer or two.

But then I live in Australia where we actually have proper beer. I probably wouldn't drink half as much if I had to drink the rubbish they have in the USA :wink:

You just haven't been to the right place in the USA to drink a "proper" beer. Agreed there is a lot of Rubbish beer here but going to the right place could yield a taste treat of epic proportions. There are many microbrew pubs around here with some really good beers.

I never cared for Fosters.

You just haven't been to the right place in the USA to drink a "proper" beer. Agreed there is a lot of Rubbish beer here but going to the right place could yield a taste treat of epic proportions. There are many microbrew pubs around here with some really good beers.

I never cared for Fosters.

I know. I was just trolling the Americans.

That's probably because they don't have any decent beer in Hong Kong. Beijing on the other hand had some of the best beer I've ever tasted. Probably because they learned from the Germans how to make beer.

I'll admit I'm a beer snob. I drink a beer because I enjoy the taste ... not because I want to get tanked. I'll take one good bottle of porter, amber or pale ale over a case of anything mass-produced. Fortunately, I live in a place where there are several excellent microbrews readily available.

Comparing a good porter to something like a Budweiser is like comparing a quality steak to your bologna sandwich ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom