Drinking & Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never eaten a bologna sandwich is but the rest, yes I have particular brands of mac and cheese and also french-fried potatoes that I think are vastly superior to others.

On the other hand, I tried vegemite a couple years back ... and I don't know how you Aussies can get that stuff past your taste buds ... ewwww!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I really like my beers, and its almost never just one. The day before diving, I will have a few, but wont have a lot. Usually done about 8 pm, and at least 3 large glasses of water before bed. I agree with and understand the first beer = last dive rule on any boat where you are a customer. Sure, I could drink 1 or 2 beers and be OK to dive in 3 hours, but its the other guy I would worry about. There are a lot of "other guys" - the one who is barely safe to begin with, the one who thinks he fine to dive after a 6 pack in a one hour SI, the guy who gets mouthy after 2 beers, the list goes on and on. The boat crew has no idea which guy I am, or could turn into after a few beers, and I am sure they have seen the worst.

Beer is generally 95% water, one could drink beer as a water source for a long time without getting dehydrated.
That is false. It is not the percentage of water, it is the diuretic effect of alcohol. Naive physics and phsiology does not cut it.

Don't drink and drive. Drink at the STOP sign.

Don't drink and dive. Drink at the Safety Stop line.

I live in a small country with about 8700 different brands of beer. Some of them , allow me to be a bit chauvinistic, are worldclass. So... drinking is ingrained in our culture. Not in a Moldavian way (average alcohol consumption per capita 18+liters) but still we beat Aussies :wink:.

So yes... most will drink after a dive. Some will drink alot, most only a beer, but I don't know many individuals who don't... and this includes my GUE/UTD compatriots :cool2:. Having been part of a fundies course where we did drink a moderate 1 or 2 beers after the day, I don't think the instructors and course attendants would have finished the course without violating your no drink 24hours before a dive.

Maybe I'm surfing in the wrong crowd but hey that's what it is.

What I'm trying to say is... everything with reason. Seeying someone swallow pint after pint of 'duvel' (a well known Belgian light beer 8,5% alcohol) together with shots of jenever (50%) a couple of hours before a deep dive... that's one extreme... having the 24h rule is the other (unless you're as said doing a cave2/tech2 level dive then it sounds more than reasonable).

Cheers

... (unless you're as said doing a cave2/tech2 level dive then it sounds more than reasonable).

Cheers
That is quite the point, you never know when circumstances might turn a "walk in the park" into something that physiolgically resembles a "cave2/tech2 level dive." It is not the dive that you plan for that you must be prepared to do, it is the dive that you might have to do.

Just thought folks would like to know that a recent study says that beer rehydrates better than water.

EDIT: Here's a quote for those who don't like links:

The study involved a group of students asked to perform strenuous activities at a temperature of about 104 degrees Fahrenheit. Half of the students were given a pint of beer after their exercise and half were given a pint of water. Garzon said the hydration affect on the beer drinkers was "slightly better" than the sober group.

Juan Antonio Corbalan, a cardiologist who has worked with Real Madrid football players and Spain's national basketball team, told The Telegraph he has long recommended beer to professional sportsmen after exhausting activities, as the drink is optimal for rehydrating the body.

Just thought folks would like to know that a recent study says that beer rehydrates better than water.
Professor Manuel Garzon, who is mentioned in the article, currently heads up the Clinical and Exercise Physiology research group at Universidad de Granada in Spain. Here's a link to a University webpage dedicated to the research group. I recommend that you click on the link to his PubMed publications (he goes by "MJ Castillo" in professional publications). Scrolling through his publication list you won't find any publication of the study in question. That's curious.

Two peer-reviewed publications originated from the Universidad de Granada in 2008 that looked at the effects of moderate beer consumption (consistent beer drinking over a 30 day period) in adults. One looked at blood lipid profiles (significant increase in HDLs), and the other reported an effect on first-line immunity markers. Manuel Garzon was not listed as an author on either of the papers.

On a related note, there is a significant amount of reliable research in the scientific literature that demonstrates the health benefits of moderate beer consumption.

Getting back to the study in question...
The "recent study" was apparently reported in 2007 and not in a peer-reviewed journal. The findings appear to have been released in what amounts to a publicity stunt (under a banner declaring "Beer, Sport, Health") that was picked up by various news agencies throughout the world. I wouldn't be surprised if the "study" had been sponsored by a local beer company. Good science? Meh. I have to call BS. Personally, I wouldn't want to be basing my choice of post-workout rehydration drink on a study involving 25 college students that was never published in a peer-reviewed journal. Others will see this as an excuse to drink beer after a workout.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom