Driving from Ft Lauderdale to Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ooooh, if that's the case, Card Sound Road may be a better choice.

She won't get it on time online, unfortunately. And the stick-on one can't be moved from car to car. And while Card Sound is longer miles-wise, if the 18-mile stretch is under construction, it will take longer to drive it.

She won't get it on time online, unfortunately. And the stick-on one can't be moved from car to car. And while Card Sound is longer miles-wise, if the 18-mile stretch is under construction, it will take longer to drive it.

Just for the record, both CSR and the Stretch are single lane with few options to pass for sane people (thank God I'm not in that group :D )

Post 4 from someone that's doing this drive every week states CSR takes longer, even with the construction that's been in progress for the last three years. IMO, the only reason to take CSR is stop by Alabama Jacks.

595 is the easiest and has the most signs directing you to the turnpike. I'm thinking a 9:20 FLL arrival translates to a 10:15+/- departure from the car rental center, putting you after most morning commuter traffic. And the FL City>K.L. stretch should be OK on an 11:10AM weekday. DebbyDiver's 5-1-1 (thanks for that DD) would be a good tool to use just to be sure.

Griffin Road has one thing going for it: World Watersports/Divers Outlet super store if you need anything Scuba. (Better stocked than their K.L. store)

And the FL City>K.L. stretch should be OK on an 11:10AM weekday. DebbyDiver's 5-1-1 (thanks for that DD) would be a good tool to use just to be sure.

I'd also add there's an "amber alert" sign at the fork between CSR and the Stretch. When there's a traffic issue, that sign will direct you which road to take.

I'd also add there's an "amber alert" sign at the fork between CSR and the Stretch. When there's a traffic issue, that sign will direct you which road to take.

Thanks. MORE good-to-know stuff. I'll be departing FL City SB around 2PM on D-Day which happens to be a Sunday. Hopefully all the other tourist dobies will be NB and driving carefully at that time.
Saint Raphael, ora pro nobis.

On a Sunday afternoon you will most likely have the entire southbound lane to yourself. Enjoy your visit.
Larry

NO NO NO do NOT do the stop and pay, you will kick yourself. It's going to cost you at least 20 minutes each way of your life that you'll never get back. Get the Sunpass.

It's worth it even if it costs you a few bucks. Let's face it, do you want to spend 20 minutes or more waiting in line to pay a toll (approx. 5 minutes per tollbooth and there are four), or spend that 20 minutes in the Keys? Me wuvs Sunpass!

Sunpass website

I agree that a SunPass is worth every cent... (I've got one).

but I had to register my car tags with it.

So... how does this affect using a SUN PASS on a Rental Car? (seeing how the car won't have the tag registered?)

just curious.

Will SunPass "ticket" the owner of the car (the rental agency) who will in return charge your credit card for the ticket. or will SUNPASS allow you go "scan through" with an un-known car tag?

EDIT:

It appears that some of the rental Agencies have a program called "PlatePass" that is the same as Sunpass in how it works.

Hertz - https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/byr/...on=globNav_3_5_1&selectedRegion=United States

you pay a $2.50/day fee to use it, up to a $10 max per month and then regular (not discounted) Toll fees.

Avis is $2.50 per day, up to $10 max per week. no price given on actual toll discounts. so I doubt there is a discount.
http://www.avis.com/car-rental/content/display.ac?navId=T4M08S02#Florida

Thrifty has something called Pass24 that does the same thing. they don't reveal their rates
http://www.thrifty.com/TravelCenter/TravelPartners/Other/Pass24.aspx

EDIT #2:

Seems you can add a vehicle that is a rental car

from Sunpass User Agreement http://www.sunpass.com/agreement_E.cfm

section 7.1

7.1 All vehicles in which the User intends to use a Transponder must be listed within the account, but a vehicle license plate may only be actively subscribed to one account at a time. The year, make, model and color of the vehicle as well as the license plate number and issuing state must be provided and updated as changes occur. For convenience, vehicle information may be updated on www.sunpass.com. User accepts there may be occurrences when a Transponder is not identified even though it is present in the vehicle. In cases where a Transponder is not identified but the vehicle license plate is recorded, FDOT reserves the right to add the vehicle license plate and issuing state to the User’s account. FDOT will not exercise this right unless a confident match can be made between the registered owner of vehicle for the license plate and the customer information on the User’s account. If adding a license plate for a rental vehicle, User must specify the period of time the rental vehicle’s license plate shall be subscribed to the account. Failing to specify the correct subscription period may result in activity being recorded and appropriate tolls will be charged against User’s Prepaid Account after the rental vehicle has been returned. It is the User’s responsibility to remove the Transponder (SunPass Portable Transponder or SunPass Mini Transponder) from the rental vehicle and to contact SunPass when the rental vehicle is returned. SunPass will not make any adjustments for tolls incurred if User fails to remove the transponder from the rental vehicle or fails to remove the rental vehicle’s license plate from the User’s SunPass account.

Last edited:
595 is the easiest and has the most signs directing you to the turnpike. I'm thinking a 9:20 FLL arrival translates to a 10:15+/- departure from the car rental center, putting you after most morning commuter traffic. And the FL City>K.L. stretch should be OK on an 11:10AM weekday.

That puts you on Card Sound Road, Alabama Jacks, right at lunch time. Nothing like a beer and an order of conch fritters at Alabama Jacks to adjust your head between mainland and keys attitude. Just say ahhhhhhhhhhh, I'm here, while sitting by the water

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom