Driving Nails Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noladiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have begun to help a local dock builder with some jobs around the lake. I am wondering what would be the best method for hammering nails into wood. For this job the guy says he has a underwater nail gun that can shoot about 6 inches but the nails would have to be finished by hand. Also the gun apparently doesn't work past a depth of 8ft so anything below that would be need to be done by hand. Am I going to have to carry a sledge hammer down there or what? Thanks for the replies

I have done some dock maintenance myself, and a hammer wasnt as bad as it seems. However, there is a local electrician who uses an underwater cordless drill to install fish-attracting lights on the rich folks' dock. that might be worth looking into. as far as the sledge is concerend, you better get some practice with it, it requires some major buoyancy fine tuneing

Thanks jo I guess ill give it a try in the pool first, it should be an interesting job to say the least. Anyone else have any advice that could help me out.

Take a heavy hammer and lots of gas . . .

the K

You know... I wonder if it would handle the 140psi if you ran it off of one of the LP ports!

I'm a just a lowly college student here trying to make a few bucks on the side. If this becomes a regular gig yall might be onto something though. Ill just tell the boss to bring a few extra tanks and an assortment of hammers.
Thanks for the help everyone. ill post back after the job, might have a funny story.

Generic palm nailers can be had for as little as $45.

I just finished a chat with the Bostitch people and she said that none of thier tools work underwater. Back to the sledge and a lift bag :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom