Question Drop off dive at Cocoview Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve always thought they wanted to reduce physical stress on their DMs by not putting them in the water four times/day - most of the CCV divemasters are very longtime employees, and doing that day in/day out six days a week for 20+ years takes a toll.

I know they’re not to everyone’s taste, but I actually really do enjoy the drop-off dives. Between CCV Wall, Newman’s Wall, the wreck, and the channel, there’s four distinct “dives” you can make in that area (and you can request where they drop you). Because you’re on your own you can dive them as slow or fast as you like; I like getting to actually use my whole tank and spend a leisurely 90min dive taking photos and looking for macro.

I enjoy the added familiarity that repeatedly seeing the same terrain gives you - kinda like when you get to know a local dive site really well. For instance, I once found a pipefish right past the overhang on CCV wall and sure enough he was there every dive afterwards. There’s a whole host of familiar repeat characters - the turtle who sleeps on the bow of the Prince Albert, the big puffer who hangs out around the chain by the safety stop.

That said, if the staff know you and you ask realllll nice and their schedule/boat permits….they will sometimes double dip; we once did Calvin’s Crack and Mary’s Place back-to-back on the same morning. (I’d been sad we didn’t get to do Mary’s Place the day before due to weather, sooo…our DM told us to keep it a secret and we did two boat dives the next morning lol).

It’s weird, but it works. There is SO much to see, it’s like it forces you to slow down and see the things you would otherwise have blown past. There are always new things to see. The sealife moves around from day to day. CCV is quirky, and that aspect appealed to me very much.
This is why i often refer to CCV as “advanced diving”.

It's easy but gets boring when you do the same freaking dive every other time. Not understanding why the Cocoview boat can't or won't take divers to different sites rather than the same boring wall dive. It's the main reason I haven't gone back.
different strokes for different folks. Myself, I’m done with “spectacular” live aboards while I love Coco View (fifteen-ish visits and counting) Fortunately there are so many places to go, no one can do them all. Enjoy wherever you go!

I found the walls to be devoid of life, and after diving the wreck several times it wasn't all that exciting. I did find a good amount of marine life above the wall in the shallows. In the area away from the channel of course.

I think I get doc’s meaning. Newer divers tend to race. When you realize sometimes you can even plant yourself in one spot and see plenty of cool stuff, that’s an “advanced” attitude.

I think I get doc’s meaning. Newer divers tend to race. When you realize sometimes you can even plant yourself in one spot and see plenty of cool stuff, that’s an “advanced” attitude.
This is true anywhere, I just got back from 2 weeks on Bonaire. On our house reef, Bari Reef, we generally spent our last 10+ minutes below the surfacing area, always something to see. We had small octopus on one dive, an Eagle Ray on another. Plenty of usual reef fish on every dive.

This is true anywhere, I just got back from 2 weeks on Bonaire. On our house reef, Barie Reef, we generally spent our last 10+ minutes below the surfacing area, always something to see. We had small octopus on one dive, an Eagle Ray on another. Plenty of usual reef fish on every dive.
Of course. Bonaire is all about diving freedom: dive any way you want. CCV is a little more restrictive. If you don’t have what, if I understand Doc’s point, is an “advanced” mindset, CCV may not be for you.

Reactions: Doc
I’ve spent multiple weeks at CoCo View and on the morning drop off Newman’s Wall and afternoon drop off dive at CoCo View wall I vary my depth by just 5 feet and it truly is a different dive. Many resident critters only travel about 15 feet from their homes so it’s fun to revisit them for a better photo shot. That’s how the divemasters always know where to look. 😂

You can drop off at CocoView wall or Newmans wall at really long to really short distances or at the wreck. There is a gap in the reef going to the resort. It is clearly marked. It starts at about 15’ and gets shallower as you get into turtle grass. About 90’ off shore in waist deep water, there is a small wooden platform. You can take off your mask and fins and unhook stuff. Then you wade into shore on a sandy bottom. The lagoon is usually dead calm. The shore exit is very easy. From there you schlep your gear to the rinse tubs and drying sheds. And that distance is like 100’ on a level path. I would think that if this is an issue, you might arrange for staff assistance for an extra tip or another more vigorous diver in exchange for a couple of drinks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom