Drug smuggling diver found unconscious in Detroit River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always though this was the Mayan diving guy (and not a Mayan spaceman as the UFO chasers would have it):

View attachment 591663

Yes. I think they are either different versions of the same god or otherwise related. I think things get a little fuzzy between different artists, different dialects, interpretations... who knows?

How can you smuggle something that is legal?

Hahaha, I know right? Or maybe more accurately, why would someone.... LOL

But the reality is, even though it's "legal" in that state, it's still federally illegal and bringing it across the border is most definitely still illegal...

Well the moonshiners of yesteryear (and a few today) did it and it was smuggling because the government did not get their cut.

You missed the question. Why smuggle if legal on both sides? It's not that you are providing a product you can't get on the other side of the border that you can't get otherwise. You are providing a product on the other side of the border at a better price. To get that better price you are evading taxes. There are other laws that are being broken in the process of transporting across an international border, but those laws are not the motivation for breaking the law. Turning a profit is the reason for breaking the law. Since the product is available on both sides, but heavily taxed for government profit, the motivation for smuggling and making money is the tax evasion so the smuggler gets a cut and not the government.

You missed the question. Why smuggle if legal on both sides? It's not that you are providing a product you can't get on the other side of the border that you can't get otherwise. You are providing a product on the other side of the border at a better price. To get that better price you are evading taxes. There are other laws that are being broken in the process of transporting across an international border, but those laws are not the motivation for breaking the law. Turning a profit is the reason for breaking the law. Since the product is available on both sides, but heavily taxed for government profit, the motivation for smuggling and making money is the tax evasion so the smuggler gets a cut and not the government.

Marijuana is still illegal per US federal law, regardless of individual state law.

Correct in the state it is and is actually taxed both state and federal. Just ask Al Capone about paying taxes on illegal gains.

Marijuana is still illegal per US federal law, regardless of individual state law.

Correct, however I've heard that congress allocated zero dollars for enforcement of actual marijuana laws. So I'm sure actual charges will be illegal import and tax. The weed laws are so weird nowadays.

Correct in the state it is and is actually taxed both state and federal. Just ask Al Capone about paying taxes on illegal gains.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure anybody will be asking Capone about taxes or anything else, considering he's patay na (dead).... LOL

Correct, however I've heard that congress allocated zero dollars for enforcement of actual marijuana laws. So I'm sure actual charges will be illegal import and tax. The weed laws are so weird nowadays.

But this, well.... I'm not sure that congress actually allocates money for the enforcement of specific charges, but, considering many States positions on the matter, I'm not so sure it's high on their agenda.... But I totally agree that the cannabis laws are super fuzzy right now.... I'm not going to take an official position here, but whether right or wrong, the states are making their opinions on the matter known, and that will affect the federal status, eventually.... (yes yes yes, it's over due....Refer Madness was bs....[ooops, I let it slip])

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom