Drug smuggling diver found unconscious in Detroit River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some stoners (I mean ski bums) in Colorado accidently explained it. On federal land the feds wright them a ticket. But if they are on state land they blaze away. They were all bummed because they couldn't figure out the lines and were caught on federal land getting buzzed.

Capone was a little different, he was importing booze that was not available here. Made too much money at it and got caught on the tax evasion of the booze profits. Never got sent to prison for the smuggling, just not paying the taxes on the money he made from smuggling.

This is more of the modern moonshiner. It's legal to make your own booze (thank you Jimmy Carter), but not mass production, transportation, and untaxed income off it.

This is more of the modern moonshiner. It's legal to make your own booze (thank you Jimmy Carter), but not mass production, transportation, and untaxed income off it.

I do not believe this is correct. It is only legal to brew your own beer and make your own wine. Spirits for human consumption are still illegal. There is no minimum quantity allowed. You weren’t specific, but you do mention moonshiners, which traditionally were spirits, not beer or wine.

i’d love to be proven wrong if anyone knows any different.

ref: Is Making Moonshine Legal?

actual legalization bill for beer and wine: Text - H.R.1337 - 95th Congress (1977-1978): An Act to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 with respect to excise tax on certain trucks, buses, tractors, et cetera, home production of beer and wine, refunds of the taxes on gasoline and special fuels to aerial applicators, and partial rollovers of lump sum distributions.

Making moonshine is illegal.

However......
On March 18, 2020 hand sanitizer production was exempted by from taxation by the TTB due to covid 19, then subsequently the CARES act. Exemption is in place until 12/31/2020.

TTBGov - TTB | Public Guidance | TTB G 2020-1A

Attachments

• 20200405_134420.jpg
    20200405_134420.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 86
Making moonshine is illegal.

However......

Permits for distilling ethanol fuel are obtainable. You may or may not need to have an actual vehicle converted to ethanol, to obtain one.

On the other hand, smoking weed may be legal in some states, however...

The laws regulating open use of intoxicants in public spaces still apply, as do DUI ones etc. It may be legal to get stoned in Colorado, but if you do it outside of the privacy of your own home, you may have to keep your bong in a brown paper bag, and if you're in a car you may not want to get stopped.

Permits for distilling ethanol fuel are obtainable.

It’s impossible to have a discussion about home distillation without somebody bringing this up, either in person or online. And I don’t understand the point. You are 100% not allowed to make drinkable alcohol with or without the ethanol permit. Your still is 100% equally legal with or without that permit. Your output is 100% equally illegal with or without the permit. What is the advantage?

If it’s some sort of: but officer, I’m using it for my car! I don’t think you’re going to do any better with the ethanol permit then without. if the law is interested, you’ve already lost.

I mean it’s not even as much of a covering as the fiction of “medical marijuana” for recreational use. I can imagine someone actually coming down harder on you because you obviously knew what you did required legal support, and you intentionally tried to subvert that.

In Michigan, it can be quite a bit better: we can get a small distiller permit for $100, where you can produce up to 100 gallons a year. Which is great by itself. The tricky part is federal law. Michigan only requires that you have a basic permit. Federal law requires that you have a distillers license. kind of like the difference between state and federal marijuana laws.

ref: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dleg/Small_Distiller-requirements_247345_7.pdf

But in no way does an ethanol license make your still any more or less legal — it’s already legal; or your drinkable output any more or less legal — it’s illegal either way.

All right, enough debate about the legality of moonshine. Especially on a diving forum! :) Let’s get back to making fun of the guy who tried dragging a few hundred pounds of marijuana across the Detroit River! :)

It’s impossible to have a discussion about home distillation without somebody bringing this up, either in person or online. And I don’t understand the point. You are 100% not allowed to make drinkable alcohol with or without the ethanol permit. Your still is 100% equally legal with or without that permit. Your output is 100% equally illegal with or without the permit. What is the advantage?

Without the permit it's 100% legal to distill water. Or "botanical oils". It's 100% illegal to distill ethanol. With the permit it's 100% legal to distill ethanol. That is the difference.

It is still illegal to distill "drinkable" ethanol and enquiring minds would like to know how exactly that one is controlled and/or enforced. Or what exactly is illegal about drinking engine fuel.

:confused:

Correct, however I've heard that congress allocated zero dollars for enforcement of actual marijuana laws. So I'm sure actual charges will be illegal import and tax. The weed laws are so weird nowadays.

Because there is no enforcement does not mean that the prosecutor won't add all the charges for breaking marijuana laws to encourage a plea deal favorable to the prosecutor.

As for enforcement dollars, it looks like CA is the one defunding CAMP, a joint operation of local, state and federal agencies to eradicate marijuana for the last 28 years. The Feds have their 1.6 mil for this years operation, if it goes forward. Budget Cuts Endanger State’s Marijuana Eradication Program

Because there is no enforcement does not mean that the prosecutor won't add all the charges for breaking marijuana laws to encourage a plea deal favorable to the prosecutor.

As for enforcement dollars, it looks like CA is the one defunding CAMP, a joint operation of local, state and federal agencies to eradicate marijuana for the last 28 years. The Feds have their 1.6 mil for this years operation, if it goes forward. Budget Cuts Endanger State’s Marijuana Eradication Program

That article is from 2011

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom