Dry Mouth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redhawk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone,

My wife currently dives with an Aqualung Legend LX Supreme regset, but is struggling with dry mouth. It has been sugested (here & elsewhere) that she gets a metal regulator 2nd stage. The options available in South Africa are the Proton, Abyss & the Sherwood Oasis (not metal but does the job apparently). I am unable to purchase a second stage on it's own in SA (only packaged 1st & 2nd sets) but could get an OCTO instead & use that as a primary second on a cheaper 1st stage (Sherwood Brut available). Any comments on the above regs would be appreciated.

PS: I don't see the point of a top end 1st stage for the use it will be put too, the regs will only be used in warm (70+) water with a maximum depth of 18m / 60 feet (due to medical condition so will never change). Here the Abyss / Proton 1st & 2nd (no octo or guages) go for between $700 & $800, pretty steep.

In terms of performnce, dry mouth prevention, and service availability it is hard to beat the Scubapro Adjustable or Balanced Adjustable. (R109 and R156) second stages. They are available on a regular basis on e-bay in the $35-$50 range and I have yet to encounter one that looked good on the outside that could not be returned to service.

In terms of performance they breathe as well as any current top quality second stage, whihc is not a surprise as they use Scubapro's current S-wing poppet just like the G250HP, G250V and S600.

Not sure what shipping costs, but I'd even sell you one fully serviced for under $100 US.

I would not consider the Sherwood Brut (or Magnum) second stage, as it does not have the metal fins that the Oasis has.

Perhaps you should look for a physiological reason and explore some possible causes of dehydration before jumping on a new regulator to cure her problem.

I think you should be sure that she is well hydrated and has some dive experience, if she is in the 0-24 dive bracket as you, before you spend money on new regulators.

As you gain experience and get used to breathing tank air and if you stay properly hydrated the dry mouth problems should dissipate. Also if she is taking antihistamines or a host of other medications this may create dry mouth problems.

Hydration means drinking water along with drinks containing electrolytes to help replenish salts in the body. Soft drinks and diuretics like coffee and alcohol or things with sugar like gum etc. will make it harder to stay hydrated during periods of higher diving activities. Hydration begins well before your day of diving.

Look through the DAN website and do some more reading on the subject, it can't hurt and may save you some change while helping your wife to be more comfortable.

Thanks for the responses, I have managed to source a used MR22 Proton with octo & gauges for $200, my LDS looked it over & all seems fine, hopefully give it a dive (pool) over the weekend & see what happens. If my wife doesn't like it then I get to keep it, if she likes it then I get the Legend Supreme (only done 4 dives) either way I win because both sets are way better than the rentals I've been using up to now! Ha Ha!

I'm not going to tell you to get a SP balanced adjustable, because they're getting harder to find at a decent price. If you did get one, though, getting one rebuilt by DA aquamaster is worth paying substantial extra money for, because it will be sent to you in pristine working condition and will probably serve you for years before needing a rebuild.

If you REALLY want to get rid of drymouth, go for a double hose, but that's a whole different level of dive-gear-geekiness.

Just use hard candy during the dive like my godfather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom