Dry suit basics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks TS & M, as usual a terrific reply. I think I found a solution. DUI is holding a DOG rally in Pelham Alabama at the end of this month. I have decided to head on over there and get a look at some dry suits, test dive one or probably more and see what they are about. Hopefully, I can see Trilaminate and Neoprene.
I definitely would like something I get in and out of by myself; although, I doubt if I will ever solo dive. I was told that zipseals are a must and read a little about them on the DUI website.
As for where I will use it, right now my plans are Florida springs (68-70F water) and the Gulf in early Spring, late fall or winter with water temps ranging from 55-75F.
I dont believe I will see the Puget Sound or the Great Lakes except by post card.
Thanks to do it easy, BRDR882 and TS&M for your information, it is appreciated.

Carribeandiver:
Thanks TS & M, as usual a terrific reply. I think I found a solution. DUI is holding a DOG rally in Pelham Alabama at the end of this month. I have decided to head on over there and get a look at some dry suits, test dive one or probably more and see what they are about. Hopefully, I can see Trilaminate and Neoprene.
I definitely would like something I get in and out of by myself; although, I doubt if I will ever solo dive. I was told that zipseals are a must and read a little about them on the DUI website.
As for where I will use it, right now my plans are Florida springs (68-70F water) and the Gulf in early Spring, late fall or winter with water temps ranging from 55-75F.
I dont believe I will see the Puget Sound or the Great Lakes except by post card.
Thanks to do it easy, BRDR882 and TS&M for your information, it is appreciated.
I would do more research before springing for the ZipSeals.

They're cool as anything. I ADORE the concept. And people who tear their seals a lot RAVE about how great it is to be able to swap new seals on in 5 minutes.

But I think if you do a poll of the people using ZipSeals vs. the people using regular seals, you would find that the people using Zip Seals seem to have to replace them a lot more often than those using regular seals. Not sure why, but although they are undeniably easy to change, and they can really save a dive being called by a blown seal, they seem to require a LOT of changing. And those little replacement seals are EXPENSIVE. ("Oh shoot, I blew a zip seal! Ah-ha! I'll replace the seal. So handy! Well, there goes another $100!")

I realize I may pay a little more in the long run, but I just ordered a DUI CLX450 without zip seals. I figure in a couple of years, IF I need new seals or IF I have blown through a regular seal or two and had problems as a result, perhaps I'll have my suit retrofitted to add it later (always an option as long as you buy a DUI suit). If I don't, I'll have a great chuckle about all the money I saved on (a) initial zipseal installation ($250) and (b) a couple of replacement seals (about $120 per seal). It's about $450 to have them retrofitted, btw, so it's actually pretty much the same price... IF I decide I need them.

I am new to Drysuits and there is some great info in the responses.

I didn't see anyone mention hoods. This has been the hardest part for me to get used to is the latex hood that is built into my suit. I think the OP (and myself) would benefit from advice about hoods options etc... Thanks.

1_T_Submariner:
I am new to Drysuits and there is some great info in the responses.

I didn't see anyone mention hoods. This has been the hardest part for me to get used to is the latex hood that is built into my suit. I think the OP (and myself) would benefit from advice about hoods options etc... Thanks.
I have never seen anyone in SoCal (water temps to the low 50s) wear a latex hood. Everyone around here seems to wear 7mm neoprene drysuit hoods with no bib, such as the ones sold by Henderson, most drysuit manufacturers, and probably a bunch of other companies. I use the Henderson Gold Core hood, and have never had a problem.

From what I've read (recall I have no personal experience with it) and learned in my DS course, latex hoods are mostly used for the coldest of cold conditions, with wool or synthetic insulative hoods underneath the waterproof latex. Those are the main two options: The more common regular neck seals (latex or neoprene, per preference) or the more rare latex integrated hoods.

I second that for the NE. Everyone I know dives with a 7mm hood with no neck flap (designed for dry suit diving) so that it doesn't flap around and flush well diving. I have seen the latex hoods though, in the shop we have an old viking rubberized suit with the attached hood, its no longer usable though so I'm not counting that.

tie:
Do you need a drysuit certification to test suits at demo days?
Not according to their website. Plus, there is no certification requirement to dive with a dry suit. At the DUI DOG Rally, there will be an instructor and dive masters. Testing divers will dive with either an instructor or DM and go in groups of 3. This is from their website.

There is no drysuit certification required to participate in DOG days. They have instructors and such there to work with you for that very reason. Of course, you'd have to work pretty hard to hurt yourself in the little pools they have.

There is no certification requirement whatsoever for drysuit diving in general. Many people have been diving them for years without ever getting formally certified, and are experts in DS diving. That said, it IS possible to get yourself in trouble if you don't know what you're doing, so it's a pretty good idea to get the cert, or at the very least, start by diving with someone who really knows what they're doing. One final thought: You don't need a DS cert to dive your own suit, but most shops I know of who rent drysuits want to see a card before they send you off with a $1200 suit.

Personally, I bought a used suit, and mentored with a friend until I was comfortable. And then, about 20 dives later, I ended up taking the class anyway because I realized I wanted to rent some suits to try out some other models, and needed the card to rent. I learned a couple handy tips I did not already know, but nothing I was in jeopardy not knowing. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom