Dry Suit - Neoprene or shell - which is better (with poll :))

What type of drysuit do you own?

• I own a shell dry suit, and think they are better

Votes: 96 43.8%
  • I own a neoprene dry suit, and think they are better

Votes: 37 16.9%
  • I own a shell dry suit, but think neoprene suits are better

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I own a neoprene dry suit, but think shell suits are better

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • 1 don't own a dry suit, but I think neoprene suits are better

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • I don't own a dry suit, but I think shell suits are better

Votes: 57 26.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have to agree that the best suit depends on what you need for your style of diving.

I have a neoprene I use for caving but for the Great Lakes it is definately a shell. The shell allows me to vary the under garment based on the water temp, how deep and how long the dive. (I like to be toasty if I have to hang on a deco line) I have the DUI 350. Been a great suit for over 10 years.

I like my shell becuase I can vary the "undie" componet to the level I need. I have friends who swear by the crushed "neoprene".

Originally posted by NetDoc
Which shell suit do you dive and why?
Andy's Ultralight DS3 (across the front of the shoulders entry)...
Because I needed more flexibility than my Gates vulcanized allowed...

I plan on getting a better fitting suit soon and will send the Andy's back for some alterations and repair. I bought it "off-the-rack" last year because I was in a hurry. I will get a trilam with front entry made to order with factory attached thigh pockets and a wrist dump. I'm not settled on a brand yet. I will install the P-valve myself.

Shell suits for the reasons UP stated. You can add in that shell suits offer better flexibility. What I especially like about shell suits is that I can dive in 75F water or 32F water in complete comfort simply by wearing different undergarments.

Good luck.

Mike

Originally posted by wrecNcaver
Have to agree that the best suit depends on what you need for your style of diving.

I have a neoprene I use for caving but for the Great Lakes it is definately a shell. The shell allows me to vary the under garment based on the water temp, how deep and how long the dive. (I like to be toasty if I have to hang on a deco line) I have the DUI 350. Been a great suit for over 10 years.

I agree with you, wrecNcaver. I have, courtesy of Bob3, a Viking Extreme for Open Water and wreck diving, and a Brand new, not tried out yet, custom made, Northern Diver "tech" suit for cave diving.

With the Viking I have zero bouyancy surprises and avoid the extra weight of a wet neo suit when climbing a boat ladder. The con is a baggy suit that has some drag to it.

The idea for my ND Tech was close fitting, custom made, BIG pockets, and a stretch material. I'm getting back into weight lifting so as I grow it will still fit.
The con here is slow drying and difficulty of repair.

Whichever you get, I'd suggest latex seals, pockets on the thighs, and a really good hood. If possible get made to measure, or at least get the right sized boots put on to minimize "floaty feet".

Dive safe
Brock

:confused:
Is there any truth to the statement that a neoprene "drysuit" is never completley dry

or do the people I've heard say that have a problem with an ill-fitting suit?

Also thanks for all the great info about pros and cons of each. I personally prefer warm water but will be moving back to the states soon and will need a dry suit.

I have a Bear 7 mil crushed to 2 mil. it has flexability and warmth. it's also a self entry.

I have a question

If a Viking is a shell suit, whats a DUI CF200 ?

dont you use undees with the DUI ?

isnt the DUI crushed neo?

im confused can someone rescue me

Andy

Sure, the CF200 is a shell suit too. Shell suits come in all kinds of materials -- crushed neoprene, rubber, trilaminates, bi-laminates, etc.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom