Dry Suit - Neoprene or shell - which is better (with poll :))

What type of drysuit do you own?

• I own a shell dry suit, and think they are better

Votes: 96 43.8%
  • I own a neoprene dry suit, and think they are better

Votes: 37 16.9%
  • I own a shell dry suit, but think neoprene suits are better

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I own a neoprene dry suit, but think shell suits are better

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • 1 don't own a dry suit, but I think neoprene suits are better

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • I don't own a dry suit, but I think shell suits are better

Votes: 57 26.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there any truth to the statement that a neoprene "drysuit" is never completley dry?
That depends on the person and the suit. I quite often stay 100% dry in my Unisuit, though in order to turn that "quite often" into "always" you need to use a helmet mated to the suit as well as attached gloves.

DUI CF200 is considered a shell because the neoprene has [essentially] no insulating qualites on its own. The Viking or the CF200 will have very little (if any) buoyancy on their own.
The CF200 can be cut tighter because it still maintains stretch.

I don't know much about the DUI other than it's crushed neoprene and tougher than heck. I hear that it's not particulary flexible, but neither is the Viking (compared to several suits out there). As for buoyancy, I would venture a guess and say that it should be more buoyant than the Viking. I don't think it would be anymore snug than the Viking.

I use an Abyss Pro Kevlar TX which is 2mm fully collapsed neoprene suit (same as crushed, but "crushed" is exclusively a DUI name). I went from a Viking suit to my Abyss, and found that the Abyss required more weight (I can't remember, but maybe 5lbs?). As I recall, Abyss claimed the TX was neutrally buoyant, and I thought the Viking was a bit negative (but I don't recall). I would say they were about equally flexible, but the neoprene with the Kevlar shell is a 100 times more durable than the Viking material.

I really like my suit, but nowadays, an Abyss TX costs over $2K for a custom fit and all the extras (I paid $1400 back when I bought it). If I were looking to buy a new suit, I would start by looking at the DUI TLS350 and that 50/50 Flex in custom cut. I'm kinda out of the loop on current drysuit models and prices, but I've heard great things about the DUI suits.

The trick is finding durability, flexibility, and dryness (ie. keeping the water out) wrapped up into one suit. Repairability is important to me too. I don't care much about dry time. Don't forget, your underwear must fit loosly, because if it doesn't, it can limit your flexibility too.

Good luck.

Mike

Shell suits are the way to go. Way less weight needed is the main reason. Plus neoprene compresses at depth then you are overweighted and it looses it's thermal properties so then you are cold.

well now i know what kind of suit i want
it is a bare neopreen drysuit kevlar reinforced for them man eating barnicals and green sea urchants our water stays fairly cool and the extra warmth of the neopreen and my PJ's is what i want :D

I have spent MANY, MANY months debating over what suit to get. (Side note: I have been renting both a TLS350 and a FLX 50/50.) After long arduous hours of reading and comtemplation, my decision to get a CF200 came from a very simple thought process.

Q: What type of diving to I currently do?
A: NE wreck, no penetration, limited deco obligation.

Q: What type of diving do I plan on working towards?
A: NE wreck, penetration, deco.

Q: What is the primary function of my drysuit?
A: To keep me warm.

Q: What is the greatest risk to this?
A: A whole or tear.

Q: What is the best material to prevent this?
A: Crushed Neoprene. (Regular neoprene was never a consideration for me, due to it's buoyancy issues.)

B/c DUI doesn't offer the CF200 in woman's stock sizes (which I happily debated w/ them at BTS :D ), I'm going to offset the cost of a Special Production, and get a shoulder entry model.

As you've been reading, it all comes down to what type of diving you do. After asking those silly simple questions of myself, the answer was obvious. If I never intended on doing any penetration, for example, I'd probably get at TLS-350.

Best of luck!!

Chris

Good choice on the crushed neo, they're exceptionally durable suits.

If you need a drysuit in ladies' cut, check out the CNX series of the Northern Diver.

http://www.diveshop.co.uk/pages/drysuits/cnx.html

They can't call the stuff "Crushed Neoprene®" because the name is already taken.:wink:

Custom sizes available for about the same (or less as an off the rack DUI.)

That's a sharp looking suit! I'm going to be buying through my LDS. I'm getting 25% off my purchase due to the obscene ;-0 amount of rental fees I've racked up. (I've even overshot that 25% as well, grrr) I'm sure the owner is happy about my indecision though, b/c it's caused me to make a sizable "donation." The shop currently carries only a few lines, not including Northern Diver.

I actually did consider a few other manufacturers. It's important that I be able to physically see the suit, and after attending Beneath the Sea this weekend, I was able to scope out most of those I havn't seen yet. I ended up back at DUI.

Here's a question. I may be getting caught up in the termonology, but the CF200 is labeled as "crushed neoprene" which is apparently a trademarked name. DUI also offers a suit labeled "hyper-compressed" neoprene (CN-SE), as many other manufacturers do, including your suggestion below. DUI is frustratingly vague in the explaination of the two. Any thoughts here?

TIA,
Chris

Yep, the "hyper compressed" is a tad more dense than the plain old compressed. It's like normal neoprene at 200', 1/4" turns into 1/8" but it still has tiny bubbles in it.
Regular compressed is more like 1/4" at say 80' or so, bigger bubbles but most of the compression has already taken place. You still have some insulation factor remaining, but the buoyancy mischief caused by suit compression at depth is kept to a minimum.
The "crushed" and the "hyper-compressed resin injected" are nearly similar in that they're for all purposes, lacking bubbles, just differ in the mfg process. They'll wear about as good as a commercial grade vulcanized rubber suit.
Tell your shop you need a bigger discount 'cuz you spotted a spiffy suit on the internet.:mean:
They should be able to squeak out an extra 10% for you. :wink:

Let's see if I understand this now.......we've got in "compression order" :)

Regular Neoprene:
AKA wetsuit material w/ idential buoyancy characteristics. Also the warmest.

Compressed Neoprene:
Partially compressed to reduce some (but not all) of the buoyancy characteristics. Retains some thermal properties.

Hyper-Compressed:
Nifty name for compressed neoprene that's been, well, compressed some more. Smaller bubbles yet, but still has bubbles.

Crushed Neoprene/Hypercompressed w/ Resin:
For all intents and purposes, no bubbles. Currently the best of the market. (Also the biggest price tag.) Little to no thermal properties.

Thank you for attending "Neoprene 101." There will be a pop quiz on Thursday. :D

Christine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom