Dry Tortugas from Ft. Myers FL - Ultimate Getaways - recent experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelrider

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi there,

I'm looking for RECENT experiences on the Ft. Myers Dry Tortugas run - Romantic Getaways, Cheap Weekend Getaways, Honeymoon Getaways, Island Getaways.

I was about to sign up, but I spoke with a couple of different people who didn't have great things to say about this operation. However, I've read reviews on the Internet indicating it was a great time. The people who had bad things to say might or might not have been a conflict of interest since they were both LDS folks. However, both said the MVSpree from Key West was a much better choice and I doubt either LDS was affiliated with the Spree. This would detract from any suspicions that they were downing the Ultimate Getaway due to a conflict of interest.

Complaints included:
- The air on the boat is oily and the boat doesn't have a clean air certification.
- They organize the dives poorly, going from shallow to deep throughout the day.
- Poor food.
- Poor accommodations.

I'm not looking for 5 star accommodations and as long as the food is tolerable I don't care about that either. I could even deal with poor dive planning, but poor air quality is another thing.

Does anyone have any RECENT experience with this boat to confirm or dispel what I've heard? Would you go again? Anything to the bad air quality concern.

Thanks!!!! I'm hoping that RECENT reviews will tell me that it's a good boat trip because I really would like to go!

I should probably wait a week to reply, but this is my experience to date.

Three weeks ago, I called in the morning to see if there were any spaces for the cruise that night. There was an opening, so I ran around all day preparing and raced down from Sarasota. Once there, I was told there was a mistake in the head count and no place for me. The captain offered a very generous apology which I gladly accepted, so we are more than square. This cruise is a near perfect deal for me. It's a lot more fun to drive to Ft. Myers and sleep the rest of the way, than hauling a whole day to Key West and another day back.

While I was there, I checked out the boat and talked with the divers. They all loved it. Every one of them was a repeat customer. One couple drove down from Atlanta 4 times a year to dive with UG. The boat is clean, but a little tight for 20 divers. You need a sense of humor and good attitude for getting along in close company. There are plenty of 110v outlets for charging bats. Berths are your only private space. Bring bedding, towel, toiletries, earplugs, iPod. No room for hard luggage. Back room berths have engine noise. Front room berths bounce with chop. They keep it cold inside, under 70F. You eat, sleep, and dive. Maybe process pix in the evening and chat a while. No complaints about the food or bad air.

There is often no fixed itinerary, since the captain is constantly dodging weather and currents. So I can see how a deeper dive site might come along in the middle of the day. The Nitrox option is a must, and you don't have to make every dive. Maybe 6 dives a day is better than 8.

Sorry so much of this is not 1st hand experience. I'm booked for the cruise this week. If the weather holds, I'll have more to say when I return.

Last edited:
Travelrider, you should ask Rick himself for a copy of his latest air test. Rick (the owner of the Ultimate Getaway) is my main competitor, but runs a very safe and highly rated operation. I'm sure that he will have his test results for you. Additionally, since Rich appeals mainly to spearfishermen, you might ask again on any of the spearfishing forums or boards. You will be much more likely to get a response there. There is a board right there in St. Pete that Rick advertises on, and writes his trip reports to.

I did that trip 2 years ago. Amazing trip! I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants a cheap / basic scuba liveaboard. Diving is good and the food is plenty. I think if you do not expect the luxury of an aggressor fleet then you would be more than happy. I have some very pleasant memories associated with that trip.

Thank you all very much for your replies. Based on feedback and further research, I've signed up for an upcoming trip and am very much looking forward to it. I don't know how I managed to get two bad reviews, but after talking to more people and hearing you guys (and even the Captain of the MVSpree) say that it's a great operation, I actually wish I could edit the way I asked the question in the first place. I'll definitely post a review once I go on the trip.

Can't wait!

Travelrider, you should ask Rick himself for a copy of his latest air test. Rick (the owner of the Ultimate Getaway) is my main competitor, but runs a very safe and highly rated operation. I'm sure that he will have his test results for you. Additionally, since Rich appeals mainly to spearfishermen, you might ask again on any of the spearfishing forums or boards. You will be much more likely to get a response there. There is a board right there in St. Pete that Rick advertises on, and writes his trip reports to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom