Liveaboard Saudi Arabia MY Almonda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just took a liveaboard MY Almonda that is now operating in Saudi Arabia, and I have just returned from a liveaboard trip to Five Corals & Seven Sisters. The dive sites that are no longer within reach of day trips are beautiful but not spectacular. There were sightings of tiger sharks, silky sharks, and hammerhead sharks, as well as beautiful reefs similar to those in Egypt.

However, I must issue a warning about the condition of the boat and the organization of its operations. There were some positive aspects, including the excellent food prepared by the kitchen team and the great efforts and friendliness of the staff responsible for service in the salon and rooms.

Now, onto the negative points:
1. Airport-Hotel-Boat Transfer: We were awakened in the middle of the night (3:30 AM) for a 4 AM transfer to the boat, which didn't depart until 9 AM. Delays can happen, but such a late departure after an early wake-up call is unacceptable.

2. Dive Guides/Cruise Director: It was the first time in the 42 dive safaris I've participated in that the dive guide did not know the dive area and was conducting their first tour. This led to a mediocre dive experience, as the guide did not show much underwater.

3. Dive Deck Team: The presence of an inexperienced cruise director on board also resulted in poor performance from the dive deck team. They seemed disorganized, unhelpful, and in some cases, lazy compared to other dive safaris I've been on worldwide. One member of the dive deck staff used my dive light without permission, breaking the attachment ring. Kudos to the dive guide who replaced it for free.

4. Tanks, Air, and Nitrox Oxygen Content: It was shocking to see that all tanks were past their visual inspection dates and should not have been used for diving. The air in the tanks had an unusual odor and taste, which caused headaches for some divers. The analyzed oxygen content in the Nitrox mix varied on each dive, indicating an issue with the compressor's membrane or the need for maintenance.

5. Zodiacs and Their Use: Both zodiacss on the boat were in a dilapidated state. One had a leak from the beginning and became unusable after a while. Neither dinghy had a ladder for getting in and out, which should be a standard safety feature in the diving industry in 2023. Additionally, one side of the dinghies lacked a line for holding onto, which is simply dangerous. The dive deck team and dinghy driver were poorly trained in the entry process, leading to several minor incidents where people sprained ankles or got their feet/ankles caught between the main boat and dinghy. During the entry process, the dinghy driver initiated a countdown while the motor propeller was still running forward, which is unacceptable and extremely dangerous.

6. Dive Platform on the Main Boat: One of the wooden boards of the dive platform ladder on the main boat is secured with a very long screw, posing a serious safety hazard, especially in rough seas when divers' movements become less coordinated, and the ladder swings up and down.

7. Air Conditioning: The air conditioning partially malfunctioned during the trip, making sitting and dining in the salons and sleeping in the cabins very uncomfortable.

8. Handrail on the Stairs to the Lower Deck Cabins: The attachment of the handrail is broken at one point, especially hazardous in heavy seas, as the hand can easily get caught between the handrail and the adjacent wall.

9. Missing Rudder on the Main Boat: During a safety stop under the boat, I noticed that one of the two rudders was missing. This raises serious questions about whether the MY Almonda is still seaworthy according to Saudi Arabian standards.

In summary, while there were some positive aspects to the MY Almonda liveaboard experience, the boat's condition and operational issues significantly detracted from the quality of the trip.

There are only 2 liveaboards operating from the Jeddah region.

How was the process to get the visa, airport formalities in and out, customs (dive gear and photo equipment), etc. Is KSA a tourist ready destination or is it complicated?

How was the process to get the visa, airport formalities in and out, customs (dive gear and photo equipment), etc. Is KSA a tourist ready destination or is it complicated?
Everything went very smooth. You apply for the visa online. When I did it, it took about 15 hrs turn around time to receive the visa. Cost is about 130 Euros including a health insurance. The visa is valid for 1 year and allows multiple 90 days stays within this period.
Immigration and customs were quick and no questions ask apart from the usual fingerprinting.
I brought my divegear and some video equipment. There were no questions ask and the bags not checked.
Uber operates in Jeddah and other large towns of Saudi Arabia, so it is easy to get around.

Hey,

Local experience here.
In general Egypt diving is much better than Saudi one. Of course any given trip feedback greatly depends on the luck the trip had with marine life; but i myself go to Egypt to dive, even though I m spending a lot of time in Saudi Arabia.

Reef wise, the reefs un Egypt are actually protected from fishing which is not the case in Saudi Arabia. You will see pelagics in Egypt that you won't be able to see in Saudi Arabia.

Cost wise, you have to take you in account the cost of living that is much much lower in Egypt. For the same bucks you won't get the same service.

Service & infrastructure wise, Egypt has of course had the time to develop plenty of it; don't expect the same smoothness from a fairly new activity.

Good to know thanks for the write up, been told the diving in KSA is not too bad at all, but your experience is defiantly food for thought

Five Corals
By the way : the area that they are calling 5 corals is actually known as the 4 reefs by the locals...
Met the boat guys when they started operation early this year and they didn't seem to be too aware of the general dive areas; I think they just need a bit more time to get used to the locations

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom