Drysuit during the warmer weather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! I'm at Teranea. Thinking of diving the Cove tomorrow. Only got my 3mm. I don't know. May not be enough!

We had 46° for more than a week at Marineland (Terranea) a couple of years ago. Most of the deeper wrecks off Palos Verdes average 46-53° at depth year-round. Orange County dive sites tend to be about ten degrees warmer that P.V. and San Diego due to the shallow shelf offshore. You can swim a quarter mile offshore from Laguna Beach and be in less than fifty feet of water. At Marineland you would be in over 200 feet.
Cold upwellings from Redondo Canyon often bring in sub fifty degree water to the nearby artificial reefs. I've made three dozen dives between Redondo and Marineland in the past two months. Most were 51-52°.

Brrrrrr staying on shore then. Besides the swell/surge this weekend is nasty!

We had 46° for more than a week at Marineland (Terranea) a couple of years ago. Most of the deeper wrecks off Palos Verdes average 46-53° at depth year-round. Orange County dive sites tend to be about ten degrees warmer that P.V. and San Diego due to the shallow shelf offshore. You can swim a quarter mile offshore from Laguna Beach and be in less than fifty feet of water. At Marineland you would be in over 200 feet.
Cold upwellings from Redondo Canyon often bring in sub fifty degree water to the nearby artificial reefs. I've made three dozen dives between Redondo and Marineland in the past two months. Most were 51-52°.
Thanks for the info. Will be diving in San Diego in October. Mostly shore diving, late afternoons or nights as I have a conference. We 'll probabably stay a few extra days to dive some wrecks.

Hey Max... Just exactly where in CA is the water temp 46*?

I have had 46F in Monterey Breakwater, in only 50ft of water. That was earlier this year, maybe April. The temperature reading was from 3 different computers, 2 of mine, 1 from my buddy.

Hey Max... Just exactly where in CA is the water temp 46*?

All along the north coast. Sonoma and north. That why us North Coast Divers often refer to our trips to SoCal as our warm water trips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We hit 43 at 100 feet off Ship Rock a couple of years ago, and I've dived in 43 degree water in Monterey several times.

I dive dry. Period. I got lured into a wetsuit for one dive in 86 degree water in the Red Sea two years ago, and 30 minutes into the dive, I was thinking, "Why did I do this?" I love getting out of the water just as warm as when I went in, and I love peeling the suit off and stepping out . . . dry.

I vary the undergarments with the water temperature, and if the air is hot, I get all my gear ready before I touch the dry suit.

^^ Yeah same though went though my head a few weeks ago at 86F in a 3/2. Next dive, I was down to a t-shirt. Goes to show the variations person to person on temperate tolerance.

Well my dive wardrobe consists of a dive skin, 15yr old 3mm, 5 yrs old 3mm, 2 yr old 3mm hooded vest, brand new 5mm, 10 yr old 5mm semi-dry and a 1 yr old 6.5mm semi-dry.

Yet to own a dry suit, I usually rent when I dive in Scotland, but been tempted to buy one recently.

As mentioned by others, changing undergarments to suit different temperatures is one of the advantages of dry suits, but I would hate to be wearing one though with our recent surface temps of 44C, no way of cooling down by letting water in if you are going dry.

I have two options for water temps. Below 80 degrees is for a dry suit. Above 80 is for a 3 mil.

Back
Top Bottom