Drysuit floaty feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MyronGanes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know this is a common issue and I've read all over online about correcting it but my case is slightly different.

I've already tried diving without adding ANY air into the suit, this means enduring the squeeze just to avoid floaty legs but this still doesn't work. I don't want to use ankle weights but rather figure out what diving techniques I can use to maintain my trim.

I dive sidemount with two Al80s. Each tank has 4 lbs strapped to them. Those are the only weights I use. My body is very dense and I sink like a rock even at reserve air pressure and in a drysuit. So I'm STILL overweighted with only 8 lbs. I don't have any option to really redistribute weight to correct my trim as I would just be more overweighted if I added any.

I find that I can maintain trim if I keep my arms far out in front of me to create that frontal lift but if I need to do any tasks I will lose my trim.

Any input? Thanks!

I don't use any lead in sidemount with my drysuit. However, I'm using steel tanks that never go positive. Maybe you need to consider adjusting tank placement or different tanks.

Do you have ankle gaiters? My suit came with them, but as I understand it not all do.

What kind of fins are you using? What kind of boots on the drysuit? How many drysuit dives?

If you're using a light weight fin, try switching to a heavier fin like Jetfins or Hollis F1s. This can help alleviate the feeling of floaty feet without having to resort to ankle weights. Moving weights around on your tanks could help with trim adjustment if you end up switching to heavier fins.

If you're using attached neoprene boots like turbosoles or vulcanized rubber boots and the boots aren't fitting snugly, a set of fin keepers might help fix the feeling of thinking you're going to kick out of your boots (Not saying that is issue, just a suggestion).

Lastly, drysuit gaitors may be an option. Not my favorite thing but some people really like using them. You might find after a lot of dives, you can take them off.

Edit: Re-read your message. I presume you're putting 4lbs on tanks to compensate for floaty tanks? What if you switched them to 3lbs? Sometimes even a couple pounds can make difference.

I second using the Hollis F1s, I love them. Also, if you get the yellow tips it makes it super easy for your buddy to find you in low-vis.

I know this is a common issue and I've read all over online about correcting it but my case is slightly different.

I've already tried diving without adding ANY air into the suit, this means enduring the squeeze just to avoid floaty legs but this still doesn't work. I don't want to use ankle weights but rather figure out what diving techniques I can use to maintain my trim.

I dive sidemount with two Al80s. Each tank has 4 lbs strapped to them. Those are the only weights I use. My body is very dense and I sink like a rock even at reserve air pressure and in a drysuit. So I'm STILL overweighted with only 8 lbs. I don't have any option to really redistribute weight to correct my trim as I would just be more overweighted if I added any.

I find that I can maintain trim if I keep my arms far out in front of me to create that frontal lift but if I need to do any tasks I will lose my trim.

Any input? Thanks!

First question is then why do you need those 8 lbs? Try dropping some of it.
I also agree with heavy fins, I use yellow tip F1s in my drysuit and they're awesome! Hi-vis and with my double 120s it helps take care of trim. I usually use my wing to keep my steel tanks nuetral and drysuit to maintain trim; that's all technique and practice.

Take the weight off the tanks and move it onto your body. Now you can move your weight, around on your body to help adjust trim. When your 80's get light just move them further down on the waistband.

What rig are you diving?
Ditch those weights on the tanks and learn proper technique (sorry, might sound harsher than meant).
Is the problem only floaty feet or "vague feeling due to air sticking in the legs"?

In my (little) experience, many trim issues can be solved by simply remembering this "shoulders wide, head up". If that's not enough or causes strong back-ache (remember that you're most likely not used to use those muscles, so don't be too scared about some tension after the first few dives), you might want heavier fins.

I solved the problem of not using ankle weights as a solution to a "floaty feet" feeling by putting S/S spring straps on my existing fins instead of the rubber ones.

As for me, puting some air in the dry suit legs is an important tool for obtaining a good trim. I intentionally add some air into feet, if they start to sink. Perhaps it is better, if the air stays more in the calf area rather then in the feet. I dive a Fusion dry suit, so a pair of tighter rock boots did the trick.

Air in the suit can also help to solve your floating feet problem. In order not letting the feet to float, I try to look up and keep the arms as high as I can - on the level of my ears. The air travels up toward the palms, and arms like a pair of levers lift my upper body upward. There is a good move to exit a situation when the feet are already uncomfortably high. Open your arms wide with the palms turned 45* forward and than move them forcefully together, keeping the arms straight, simultaneously looking up, so that the movement ends in a posture like praying to heaven. The thrust will push your upper body upward. The air will travel up, and the excess will vent out.

I do not use weights on the cylinders. It would impede some skills, which involve unclipping them. It would strongly change the weighting or shift the balance. I have most of the weight in the waist area and some along the spine.

I hope it helps along with the good advise regarding the equipment.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom