Drysuit Front Zipper Location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matzelle

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Greetings, All!

I'm about to order a USIA Techniflex drysuit with a front zipper, and am wondering if anyone has a preference for zipper location. What are the pros and cons of each? I can find plenty of discussion on front vs back... but not on Front Diagonal vs Front Wrap Around Horizontal.

Thanks in advance for your response!

Mat...

There's so many responses...just about everything relating to dry-suits is brand and feature personal preferences...

Visit a shop that has sufficient stock...and several brands to try on...your personal comfort...and extended reach ability will all contribute in helping you to decide what works best for you...

Know your own size...if you know you're a Large-Tall...don't get talked into buying an Extra Large...the additional bulk will cause you no end of trouble...

Soft feet or hard boots...soft feet suits can be completely turned inside out for proper drying and cleaning...

Do your research...ask all the questions...and if you're not comfortable with what you're being told...walk away...

Best...

Warren

Greetings, All!

I'm about to order a USIA Techniflex drysuit with a front zipper, and am wondering if anyone has a preference for zipper location. What are the pros and cons of each? I can find plenty of discussion on front vs back... but not on Front Diagonal vs Front Wrap Around Horizontal.

Thanks in advance for your response!
Why don't you take the short (well kinda short) drive to St. Helens? That is one of the beauties of buying local

Why don't you take the short (well kinda short) drive to St. Helens? That is one of the beauties of buying local

John,

That’s absolutely going to happen... I’ll be going there to get measured and try on some boots and suits. However, going there to get measured and try on suits won’t really provide me with the answer to my question. I’m looking for any insight that others have based on their experience with zipper locations.

Mat...

There's so many responses...just about everything relating to dry-suits is brand and feature personal preferences...

Visit a shop that has sufficient stock...and several brands to try on...your personal comfort...and extended reach ability will all contribute in helping you to decide what works best for you...

Know your own size...if you know you're a Large-Tall...don't get talked into buying an Extra Large...the additional bulk will cause you no end of trouble...

Soft feet or hard boots...soft feet suits can be completely turned inside out for proper drying and cleaning...

Do your research...ask all the questions...and if you're not comfortable with what you're being told...walk away...

Best...

Warren

Thanks for the response, Warren.

I’ve done my research... I know exactly what I want, bar one detail... front zipper location. I have a front horizontal zipper on my Bare semi-dry that is easy enough to use. Is there any benefit to a diagonal zipper?

Eric

Is there any benefit to a diagonal zipper?
It's easier to take a leak without taking the suit half off and pinching it awkwardly between your knees, while desperately trying not to dribble on the suit as you finish the job.

Frankly, I've never seen a drysuit with a front horizontal zipper. It's either horizontal back or diagonal front.

I believe the front diagonal zip provides a less restrictive fit in the shoulders and chest area. It also makes it easier to pee unless your personal material is super long. Fit may vary though....so the message still stands, try on a bunch of suits, even better if you can get in the water with them on, and choose the one that fits and functions best for you.

-Z

I've got the zip and the seal material, glue from DRIS the best of the best people
and the thread, just have to order some neoprene take it to my Brisbane Aust maker Custom Wetsuit Designs and it's another one of these

full.jpg

all this to combat shrinkage

So my friend count demands it's self donning, and the rest I don't know it's all personal preference
except the urinating zipper is good except underwater

yeah so good I'm also getting a 5mm wetty made long front zipper bottom and top sliders

Oceansuits Wetsuits and Drysuits manufacture and repairs Melbourne Australia

Yeah!!!

Front diagonal is the best can self don and take off easily on the boat or when its hot and just wear the bottom part of the suit they usually have suspenders. You can see that it has sealed properly yourself. Still quick to dive again. I live in Australia so we do cold water and warm water dives in Drysuits.

Front horizontal is a pain in the ass to put on and take off. It should be a bit more durable as it does not bend and you can get a suit without a telescopic torso to put it on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom