DRYSUIT - How much weight do you use???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I must be doing something wrong. I got into the pool last week for the first time with my new DS and with a full steel 80, Softwear undies, and I had to use 38LBs in FW! I don't know what I'll do in SW and AL tanks. I don't have that much room on the current belt. Short of buying a WI BC that is, or converting over to a BP&W.

a steel BP (~6-9 lbs) and add a trim wt. (another 7-10 lbs) that will take quite a load off your belt.

Also, most people notice they need less weight with a BP/wing setup over a jacket bc...so that could save a few more pounds.

Or you could always go the hard hat, breast plate, weighted shoes route...:wink:

That much weight, 38 lbs with steel tanks, isn't unheard of but its unusual, ...something else is likely going on. Neoprene drysuit? BC?
Well-padded BC?

As Cyklon noted most divers require less weight with bp/wings set ups.

On thing to consider, if in fact you are planning to dive with that much weight, is the DUI Weight & Trim harness. Four pockets, each holds (2) 5 lbs soft lead-shot filled neoprene weights, the harness prevents the belt from slipping below your hips, and it can be ditched one side at a time. Not the answer for all, but can be an answer for some.

Diving an Al80, with a 6 pound backplate and 8 pound channel weight, I wear no more when diving with a layer of polypro and very lightweight fleece.. I add 10 pounds with a very heavy fleece. So, a total of either 14 or 24 pounds.

28 ditchable, zeagle BC
6 on tank band

This is year round with 3mm crushed neoprene dry suit and various layers underneath, never less than 200 weight fleece often a Bare one piece undergarment. I prefer boat diving.

buggdds:
How much weight does everyone use? I know equipment varies, just give a number, thanks!

Doc Bugg

Lately, I use 24 lbs total (ditchable and nonditchable) with a single steel tank in cold water, and 12 lbs total (ditchable and nonditchable) with twin steel tanks and a manifold in cold water with my tri-lam drysuit.

The non-ditchable consists of either tank weights, V weights, or a backplate.

I am a bulky, massive mammalian amphibious creature, 5'10" and 200 lbs, former outside linebacker.

If I went to dive in Southern California like Mo2Vation does, then I probably would not need any insulation under the suit, and then the typical tropical 8 to 10 lbs of total weight would be fine.

You have to consider your insulation, which depends on your water temp.

For an aluminum tank, you need to add 6 lbs (per alum tank).

Oh yah, one more thing. I trimmed all the foam out of my Zeagle B/C with a straight razor.

Only made 6 dives with my dry suit so far:

20 ditchable
8 non-ditchable on Recon BC
---------------------------
28 Total

I think I can shed a couple, maybe down to 26.

16 lbs in summer time
20 lbs in winter time

AL80 - trilam, several underlayers
SS BP/Wing

About 24 with BC/ 14-16 w BP-W

Back
Top Bottom