Drysuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njdiver09

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
If this thread is in the wrong spot just let me know and I will try to move it.
I am looking into buying a used drysuit. This will be my first suit and I am wondering how to judge if it fit correctly. I am running into problems with the ones I have seen on SB because the shoe size never fits my 13’s. The one that am looking at now, the boots fit but the sizing chart appears to be slightly to big (I could fit into a large but the shoe is only 11) What kind of problems will I run into if the suit is a little to big. I plan on trying it on but will a lot of excess space create a problem. I am 6’ 220 and the suit fits up to 75 in/ 191 cm, 240 lbs/ 109 kg, 48 in/122 cm any advice would be great, even better if you know of a better fitting used suit for sale.
Thanks

this needs to be in the equipment section under exposure suits

Sizing is just about everything in a drysuit. Most importantly make sure that your torso is long enough for you to touch your toes. You will need to be able to get your fins on and off. Next what type of under garment are you using. The undergarment needs to fit without making the suit Snug. The shoes well you will want your shoes to fit but the easy part is that is the most inexpensive part to change out. If you find a suite you like and fits in every other way, then you can allways change the boots or socks.

If the suite is too big you will find that air will travel into those large areas and can become a harzard or inconvience if when you need to vent the air out.

For the most part try on different suits since they all fit differently.

An ill-fitting drysuit will do everything from cause you distractions and buoyancy problems that will make your diving experience miserable through emergencies that can get you bent or killed. Get a sufficiently close-fitting suit that allows you sufficient undergarments and torso inflation but that has close-fitting boots.

I dive in and recommend a neoprene drysuit - if your suit leaks or floods, you will have more time to get out of cold water before hypothermia sets in than you will in a shell.

IMHO, you really need to try it on. Manufacturers' sizing seems to vary dramatically. I'm also looking at DSs and have tried a bunch on recently and when you find one that fits, its obvious. I also have relatively large feet and have been pleasantly surprised that some manufacturers stated size 10 will fit size 12. Even if you are buying it used, you are likely still paying a significant amount for it, and you'll be miserable if it doesnt fit right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom