Drysuit Recommendations for SAR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

good point devilfish!
never thought about the drag issue.
I have been diving this way for a year, using the coveralls to protect the drysuit, but that has been in a recreational enviroment.

Yes, coveralls for rec is fine, but psd is a different environment. Besides the drag there is also the hasmat absorbtion factor.

Commercial divers very often wear coveralls, they can get away with it 'cuz they're walking on the bottom, not swimming in the water column.

For a drysuit review, check out RSD's article: http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/dryunder1k/

MSRP on the Xtreme is $950

Whacking the hood off reduces value by about $100. The Germans are fond of wearing a neoprene hood over the latex; the Swedes get the model with attached neoprene hood.
Here in the US, the latex hood is the norm.

Vikiing Pro
The hazmat is a big issue.
but eventhe smell of swamp mud is hard to get out.

Dear MnScuba
I am a SAR diver for my local dive team. Though we do not get called out much, we train for every situation. We used to used the neoprene drysuits for a while, but after a couple of marina searches, the suit was trashed. Go for the vulcanized rubber suit. Our team got a great deal though one company. We are now an authorized dealer, so we can buy more gear.

I personally dive with the TLS 350, but if I am going to do a team dive, I will deffiantly use the vulcanized rubber suit. I do not know if your team is OSHA approved for hazmat, but to do hazmat, you have to have a hard hat/ full face mask.

If you do get the rubber, which I highly reccomend, then get some kevlar knee pads or some other type. Aslo in my opinion, I would stick away from the dry gloves while doing team dives. If you do evidence recovery, you will be digging alot. I am on my third pair of gloves. The dry gloves would be expensive to replace every time.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom